MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

Post subject: Wanting to learn advanced modeling.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:53 pm 

I'm sure many of you know me by the trucks that i have released in the past. i have thrown many parts together, i know basics of everything, but it's time to go further. I'm working on Mystic 3 and i need a frame. While there are many good frames out there, none of them go down far enough. when i resize them, they look like crap. yes, i could take frames off of other people's trucks, but i finally want to call a part my own. I can grasp things pretty easily, i would just like to learn frame making. bodies aren't needed(yet), and i've read most of the tutorials here on mtmg. i would like to have someone to walk me through it step by step to make it easier and quicker. if anyone could help me out with this, please AIM me at runt9ab. thanks for any and all help that ya'll can give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:04 pm 
Glow Ball

Angus made a tutorial about using pre-fab parts to build more complex models. In his example, he uses a straight bar to build a bridge rail. However, the same principles would apply to making a frame. When you see what he's done, it should spark ideas for what you want.

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/binedit/cube.html

Another thing you could try would be to find a frame that you like that's close to what you want, and then edit the parts of it that need adjusting to make it fit the project you have in mind. When you say something doesn't go down far enough, what do you mean? Is the whole frame too high, or do you want the lower end to be down even farther? If you say what it is you want to do, then maybe we can advise on how to go about doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:12 am 

i would like the V portion of it on the bottom to go down more and look more like some of those replica truck frames. i'll check out that link and see if it helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:43 pm 
Glow Ball

That link will help you build things from scratch but what you want is much easier. There are several ways to do it, but here's the way I find easiest.
  • Open the model in binedit.
  • Switch to wire frame view.
  • Press the tab key and you'll see axis lines on a vertex. Keep pressing the tab key and it will cycle through all the verticies.
  • When you are on a vertex that you want to move, press the V key. That will 'select' the vertex. Pressing the V key again will deselect it. You can toggle it on and off.
  • Continue pressing the tab key and keep selecting the verticies that you want to move.
  • Once all the verticies you want to move are selected, the next step is to move them.

• To move upward: hold the Alt key and press Y.
    • To move downward: hold the Alt and Shift keys and press Y.
  • When the part is where you want it, save using a new name.

If you forget which keys do what, you can look in binedit help or on this page.

http://binedit.com/help/keyboard.shtml

Questions? Just ask.