MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 am

Post subject: D-Tango & D-Wango By Savage1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:30 am 

Truck: <a href="javascript:void(0)"onClick="window.open('http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/pics/trucks/wangozeetangodurango478x354.jpg','win1','scrollbars=no,left=80,top=80,width=498,height=374')">Wango Zee Tango Durango</a>
Maker: Savage1
Class: Custom repaint
Verts: <a href="javascript:void(0)"onClick="window.open('http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/pics/stats/wangozeetangodurangostats.gif','win2','scrollbars=yes,left=20,top=20,width=670,height=600')">1035/976/2011</a>
Faces: 1344/968/2312
Txtrs: 6/5/11
Podzip: No
Animated Textures: No
Allow Reflections: Yes
Allow Truck Reflections: No

Truck: <a href="javascript:void(0)"onClick="window.open('http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/pics/trucks/wangozeetangodurango2478x354.jpg','win3','scrollbars=no,left=80,top=80,width=498,height=374')">Wango Zee Tango Durango 2</a>
Maker: Savage1
Class: Custom repaint
Verts: <a href="javascript:void(0)"onClick="window.open('http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/pics/stats/wangozeetangodurango2stats.gif','win4','scrollbars=yes,left=20,top=20,width=670,height=600')">1503/976/2479</a>
Faces: 2000/968/2968
Txtrs: 7/5/12
Podzip: No
Animated Textures: No
Allow Reflections: Yes
Allow Truck Reflections: No

Readme: No, see <a href="http://mtm2.com/~trucks/dl.cgi?dl=800" target="_self">Savage Sport-Trac</a>
Download both: <a href="http://mtm2.com/~trucks/dl.cgi?dl=799" target="_self">762</a>k

First up is we have two separate trucks in one download zip, and to make for some confusing fun both truck names contain both pod file names (which are barely distinguishable from each other) and both of which rhyme with the name of the truck body, which, when strung altogether, and spoken with a bit of energetic zing, we see is derived from Ted Nugent's classic dance number <i>Wango Tango</i>. And while some people would probably prefer not having to sort through this kind of word play when it comes to file names, tho Ted would likely have no objection, we're not completely sold on the necessity of typing one's truck names entirely in caps.

Both Durangos are Evo bodies from BigDOGGe's parts yard, and sitting on BigDOGGe frames. Tango 2 sports additional DOGGe-items with lights and roof rails, and an engine half-buried low under the body. This causes some face/vertex waste as the Durango is an enclosed body model which obscures parts of the frame and engine that are embedded in it, but which have not been removed. Still, these two are relatively slim vertex-wise, being 1035 verts for Wango 1 and 1503 for Tango 2, meaning neither will cause the Noah effect when you drive with track reflections on. Both of these trucks also use the same custom axles as Savage Sport-Trac (Savage1's other expo entry), and both have the same wheelbase setup that is unaligned with the wheelwells - presumably in return for preferred driving dynamics.

The paint work on both trucks is really impressive. Clearly, Savage1 knows how to operate a paint program! Both Wango 1 and Tango 2 are interesting to look at without appearing overdone, and the clarity is just a sight to behold, it all looks so professional. Wango 1 wears a glowing red scheme swathed in bold MTM and Expo signage for a very clean look. Tango 2 has a blue paint scheme that is a little more unusual, painted to look like it has been torn away in places to expose pitted grey metal beneath. Rendered drop shadows below the "torn wrapping," and Durango and Wango Zee Tango legends, complete a very striking package for both trucks.

The lights are functional on both, with the exception of reverse lights which are hidden by the bumper on Wango 1 and not present on Tango 2. And for an added treat, Tango 2's headlights use the two texture trick so the source is angled upward to fit the body contours while the beam points straight to the front for proper driving illumination. A damper to this nice bit of detail is it's brake lights aren't quite aligned with the model.

On the technical side, Savage1 is using the redundant *1.BIN and *0.BIN (med- and low-detail) body model files for both these trucks - and these are identical to the main body bin files, contributing to considerable game inefficiency. The story goes: the game's use of three truck models for all trucks means that it can use less resources for vehicles farther way from your field of view. So, the main truck model will be named something like MYTRUCK.BIN. This will normally be a fully detailed version of the truck for close up viewing. Then a second model named MYTRUCK1.BIN will be a medium detail version of the same truck, but one which uses fewer verticies. Then a last model named MYTRUCK0.BIN is the low detail model which uses the fewest verticies of all. This scheme allows the game to draw less on the screen, especially for objects in the distance, and thereby increase framerates. Now, since Savage1 has used the same detail model for all three versions, there is in effect no performance savings. If a truck maker is going to opt to use a high detail model only, then there is no need to include the med and low detail versions. The game will operate fine if they are absent. And, in fact, using three identical models may even cause a slight performance hit since the game is now holding three copies of the truck in memory rather than just the one. Be that as it may, in the case of Tango 2, removing the engine, say, from the truck would offer considerable resource improvement on the low detail model with virtually no visual impediment. Consider the viewing ranges for each level of truck bin detail:

<a href="javascript:void(0)"onClick="window.open('http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/pics/reviews/viewingdistance.jpg','win5','scrollbars=no,left=50,top=5,width=523,height=585')">viewingdistance.jpg</a>

To help get a sense of how these detail bodies work, we've created a special truck that will display a different color for each detail level.

<a href="http://cownap.com/~mtmg/contests/expo2003/pics/reviews/ViewDistanceDemoTruck.zip" target="_self">Viewing Distance Demo Truck</a> (113k)

The best way to use this demo is to <i>select the truck in game, remove the computer trucks, and begin a race on crazy 98, for example. Now type gold, then press ctrl+Y, then Z, then ctrl+Y again, set view to race cam using the V key, and then type the word "demo" so you can sit back and watch the truck drive around the track - changing detail body levels as it approaches and leaves camera range.</i> Fans of multiplayer games will appreaciate the benefit of using low detail truck models.

As for handling, both trucks are most definitely race worthy on just about any type of track - although some of the expo testers felt grip and control was't what it could have been. But all up, very creative work. Both are very attractive in the game, and are of tidy construction. Savage1 has created a couple nice trucks, and he did it with style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:09 pm 

Thank you all for your kind words, constructive critisism and the cap and dvd award. It truely felt good and encouraging to read your words, and see my truck in the winners circle, and I look forward to starting a new project as soon as time allows me again. I enjoy assmebling and painting, and as for the textures on the sport-trac, the sides are photo-textured (except I had to paint in the fuel door on the left), the endgate cab and roof I had to paint by hand. I should have included that in the readme as well. sorry bout that.

work has been hectic, but I hope Im back soon regularly.

Best regards to all and have the best days.
Savage1

keep it fun!! =]