MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

Post subject: Don't Play On The Building Site by razerbug
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:07 pm 

MY First and brand newest track!

and i recon it's pretty good for a first attempt although I 'd love for someone to review it and let me know any bugs I've missed,

it's taken me three weeks of solid work so... but it's been fun

made on traxx 1.4 (now theres a good program)

it's called the "builders yard"

basicaly there still building the track, there's construction vehicles and pits dotted about,

oh and two huge crossing jumps to get some sick air off.

have fun, and let me know what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:51 am 

To be brief, I admire your creativity and experimentation, it's a promising first effort, although seemingly unfinished by virtue of missing a beta testing period. The ideas behind the track are good but there are technical flaws that dampen the fun. I really like the fact that you made some rugged 3D terrain, too many new makers leave the terrain flat, which just doesn't make sense for our trucks. Although it's too rough in my opinion, with too much altitude change in spots (common to new makers), you are off to a great start in the terraforming department.

Technically, the checkpoints are a mess, in both placement and location. As for location, if one follows the finder then great portions of your course can be skipped, check out this replay for a look at how a racer would likely handle your course: <a href=http://mtm2.com/~trackville/pics/builders127.zip>replay</a>. As for positioning, if you are going to use the ckbox bins (which I <a href=http://forum.mtm2.com/viewtopic.php?t=1980>don't recommend</a>) you need to align their front faces with the visible checkpoint markers (the front face is what triggers the CP), as it is you can miss the finish line entirely if you come up at the side of the visible marker, the same is true when other checkpoints are approached from the side.

The skeleton is great. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:33 pm 

yeah I had bigstyle checkpoint issues took me days to figure out how to do them... eventually I copied and pasted the check points from one of the official courses... I throught they all worked though, then again Im a course driver, I don't like just diving cross country... feels like cheating when none of the computer players do it...
also, how would you recomend making a check point then? or is it in that thread Im about to read?

I don't know how to view that replay file, although I havn't downloaded it yet so I might find I can :|

oh and as for the terrain I was going for the rough and patchy feel, because the track is supposed to be unfinished... an idea I have to admit was only inspired by the fact that I guessed the track WOULD feel like that as I like the idea of all the constrcution trucks from C98 LOL although I wish they acted more like a vehicle -got bashed about- and less like a mountatin -imoveable objects- LOL

oh and it had a beta test int he form of 2 friends and I who raced on it over a lan... it worked well enough for us, but then we also usualy follow the track... guess it needs work for other styles of driving...

cheers for your commnets...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:09 pm 

Replays: In your game folder you will find a "Saved Replays" sub-folder, put the replay file in there (builders127.rpl). Start the game, load your track, then hit escape and click to the replay screen, from there you can load the replay.

>> I don't like just driving cross country... feels like cheating when none of the computer players do it...

Racing is about finding the shortest distance between two checkpoints, period, anything else is sunday drive. The <a href=http://rhinoseros.com/~mtmg/traxx/extend2.html>extended courses</a> can be set differently in mtm2, so that pro trucks can drive a different course than rookie trucks. Load up Farmroad (tpark.pod) in Traxx and look at the courses, or watch the computer trucks in game in professional mode, you'll see that they cut across the farmer's lawn rather than take the road. The map is set using course zero but it's the extended courses that determine where the computer trucks drive - and those silly monkeys can only be trained by the track author.

>> how would you recomend making a check point then?

As for checkpoints, yes, the link shows how to use object boxes as checkpoints, rather than BINs. As for locations, checkpoints must be used to force the racer to take the road you wish them to take, use as many as necessary, seven was too few for your course. The finder is used in real racing, not the map, and not the road textures, it is therefore up to the track maker to place the CPs with careful consideration.

Back to issue of aligning the front face of an invisible CP with the visible maker: looking at <a href=http://mtm2.com/~trackville/pics/razercp.jpg>this</a> picture of my truck crossing finish line, while following the proper course, you would think I'd trigger it, but in both images the front face of the invisible checkpoint is to the <i>right</i> of my truck, I am under and within the bounds of checkpoint itself in those images and continuing across the visible finish line would do nothing to finish the lap.

>> oh and as for the terrain I was going for the rough and patchy feel, because the track is supposed to be unfinished...

Oh yes, you did good. I think my text may focus too much on the negative, but when I mentioned "promising" earlier I meant just that, I think you are on the road to becoming quite a good track (and truck) maker, once you nail the technical skills and weed out the common problems.

Something to consider, pasted from one of the expo reviews: "Here's another thing worth strong consideration: after you've gone over it countless times correcting what you feel are obvious mistakes & flaws, drop your project off at MTMG's Beta Room. There you'll receive advice from world renown (not really, but it sounds good) track makers, as well as input from expert racers who can clue you in on undesirable shortcuts, logical flow, areas that require extra smoothing, and a host of other things. The bottom line is even the very best track makers seek input and assistance from others. It's smart, it's sensible, and it's also a means for new track makers to gain a wealth of knowledge. In the end your tracks will be better for it, and you'll have a strong sense of accomplishment and pride in your work. I mean, what's not to like about a deal like that? Tell ya what, the next time you have a track ready to release, hold off on it, bring it to The Beta Room, meet the fellas & even help yourself to the complimentary donuts and skim milk (we're semi-health conscious over there). Leave your track with us for a few days, and after we're done with it you'll walk away armed with all the info necessary to make a better track - we guarantee it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:34 pm 

just FYI, Winterkill...open game, click View menu, then Instant Replay for replay viewing. Saves ya havin to start the race & end it anyway :)

Just thought I'd mention it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:57 pm 

Just to support what been said already, You can surf around my site and check out some replays witch will help you (if need) to figure out how we racer figure out cuts so you can better place your cp's to force us to stay on the road. (yes even sometime using helicopter to get to the next cp faster). http://www.slojumper.com/hof_files/0hofset.html

Exemple 1: Check out how on Gollypop we saved several seconds using a cut that save us to go around the loop (track must be poded to view the replay)

Exemple 2: Check out Oukatrail run, in this one we use the helicopter trick to travel faster.

Exemple 3: OGX maui2002 Here's a very good exemple of how a good portion of a track can be ruined by not placing the cp's at the right place. Check out how we take the helicopter to get over the caves and save 10 seconds of the intend course.

Hope this will help.