Post subject: Alphaville by Phineus
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:30 am 

Track: Alphaville
Type: Rally
Checkpoints: 17
Garage Settings: 2000 med tires/soft suspension
Lap time: 3:33
Music: '1989'

Not that it's a bad thing, but there are track makers who's work in large part identify who they are almost immediately. For example, Finne's tracks are typically rallies with high-speed, long straights, with several banked curves, which is pretty much a signature mark for him. When you think of Valvejob's tracks, you never associate them with things like "ice cream" cotton candy, or apple pie-ever. After one lap you'll have to take a break to run to the store to purchase a slide rule, scientific calculator, and graph paper just to figure out how to negotiate some of the passages (for you nonbelievers, give Hammerhead a go). Furthermore, his texture work could easily be described as dramatic and sometimes abstract. Trees characterize HotShoe's tracks, with the exception of his Expo 2003 submission (for obvious reasons). He employs a pretty unique method whereby he takes actual photographs of trees, then incorporates them into his tracks. After seeing the trees in his track you'll definitely be able to spot them anywhere, and that's a fact.

Which brings us to Phineus, who seems to have eluded adopting any sort of distinctive pattern, style, or gimmick to distinguish his work from rest of the field. At the same time, if you consider characteristics & qualities such as precision-like workmanship, excellence above all else, and jaw-dropping innovation as trademarks or a style, then by all means take a trip or three around Alphaville. We guarantee you've never seen anything quite like it in MTM 2. Does that mean you'll like it? Well… no, but we sincerely hope you find some level of appreciation for what went into constructing such a creation - the time, effort, dedication, and lots of tea (not sure what he puts in it tho lol). For starters, Alphaville is based on Jean-Luc Godard's movie of the same name, which came about in 1965. In order that we may move forward and talk more about the track, we highly recommend reading the included text (which was also nicely done by Phineus). It not only gives you the premise of the film for which the track is based on, but also a rather in-depth account of the different sections of the track. It's quite interesting, and after you're done reading our guess is you'll view this track with a different perspective.

As the readme states, you begin the journey in a place called "The Outerlands" - a city, much like any other. After a momentary pass thru a gas station, you find yourself on a 9,000-kilometer trek through space via a blacktop road that has a slight, but noticeable incline. After two half-left turns and a few rather impressive space stations, the road starts downward, heading toward Alphaville. At this point two things… well, maybe three or four, but two things for sure will definitely grab your attention; the life-like, animated backdrop (complete with shooting stars even) and the USS Enterprise. Nope, that's not a typo, and if you're an "old school" Star Trek fan the site of that famed starship alone will make "Alphaville" a worthwhile download. Word has it that Winterkill, Drive2Survive and Phin were beamed aboard for a quick tour. The gang was all there, too - Kirk, Spock, Uhura, Scotty, Chekov, McCoy, & Sulu. Phin left early because they didn't have any tea onboard, but overall they said it was well worth the trip lol.

Upon reaching Alphaville, and making your way thru it, you'll transition from outside to inside, and then out again. The rooms, buildings, and even the pool area you drive thru give off the impression of random, thoughtless placement. Such was not the case, however, for you see, each area has a name. The décor you see wasn't put there for filler or eye-candy, and as for that pool, it's not for Sunday afternoon dips with the family either lol. That's the kind of pool that you go in… but you don't come out of (if you get our drift). One of Phineus' many accomplishments was that he patterned the layout of the track's geography to correspond to how the story unfolds. Again, the included readme.txt file provides for a wealth of information about Alphaville, so please give it a "once over" before and after running this track. If you're really hardcore, go buy the book or rent the movie… and drive the track as you watch it on your television lol.

The making of Alphaville required tons of time to develop and just as much, if not more, to make. Is it Phin's best work to date? Without a doubt, and that's making quite a statement given his track making history. Of course, realize some of Phin's tracks don't have his name on them, but that's another story… and something we'd have to confer with his therapist about lol. With regard to its race worthiness, Alphaville willl give even the most discriminating racer a thrill or two, especially with its tremendous sense of speed. There's nothing difficult about it, which will definitely give it broader appeal, and the combination of speed coupled with subtle to moderate elevation changes, and the spectacular view it affords you simply can't be overstated. It's a must see track, and we certainly hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Very well done, Phineus!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:14 pm 

It's not hard to imagine the enthusiasm of a marketing division to a project proposal
- referencing a movie released nearly forty years ago
- with philosophical content
- directed by Jean-Luc Godard (not exactly dedicated to main stream)
- implying technical issues to be addressed accurately
- and without any doubt a LOT of work to obtain the desired artistical effect.

Fortunately, Phineus was not dependent of marketing decisions to offer us his track.

I especially liked the computer room and the psychedelic effects in the galatic corridor which are nothing less than stunning.

But artistical value of single objects or locations is not sufficent to mark a track as outstanding. It has to be raceable, otherwise people will
1) run a couple of laps,
2) say "it's a must have track",
3) and then release the space on their hard drive (lol).

Is part 3 of the program gonna happen here?
The track offers enough room for driving subtleties to make the difference. Various surfaces, some of them quite slippery, will require as much attention as "easy" curves where it's easy to lose some speed. And the fun factor is definitely there too.

My only minor complaint would be that in multi-lap races the "trip to Alphaville" section is a bit long. But the issue is discussed in the readme and I have no problem to accept the priority given to the narrative element in this question.

Clearly, Alphaville is a phase 1-2 must have track.

Thanks Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:19 pm 

I ran a few laps on it so far, as it's on Team SLO's APL it will be around for several months. Personaly i think it's a great track. As state by Cope (if you're patient enough to read it all) This one will offer a great time to a wide variety of racer style. So by all mean try it before you make your mind. The scenery is great too. Very nice work there Phin

Post subject: Checkpoint Sounds
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:06 pm 

Heya Phin...

How do you change the default checkpoint sounds? I have a hankerin' to start making more races, and that'd be a handy thing to know.

Clawfford, the Big Red Cat
www.gameroom.com/clawfford

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:02 pm 
easy company

[edit]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:41 pm 
Glow Ball

I didn't know you posted that. Anyway, clawfford, the only thing I ask is that you don't go overboard creating custom sound schemes. There is a limited number of spaces available and I usually try to discourage making them. I've only done two, and both were for every special cases. I think all spots up to 25 are taken, and I used 98 and 99. There is another track that uses 55. Stake your claim to a range of numbers, say, for example, the eighties, so we can keep track of what's what, if that makes sense. Anyway, the best tip I can give is to look at the stockers and build your sound scheme based on those configurations. I don't think you'll have any trouble. Have fun :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:28 pm 

Heh.. very nice track indeed :D of course I'm a little too late to comment but.. ;)

And by the way, the cool module "1989 a number" was made by Romeo Knight and is taken from Red Sector's Amiga-demo Follow Me(1990)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:15 pm 
Glow Ball

Never too late to comment. And thanks.

RT DJ_MP wrote:
And by the way, the cool module "1989 a number" was made by Romeo Knight and is taken from Red Sector's Amiga-demo Follow Me (1990)

Updated [:-)]

http://mtm2.com/~tracks/details.cgi?t=3294