Post subject: LaPaMa
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:44 am 

LaPaMa
======
by Rocketalces
Release notes 20.April 2003

"Popup-free" landscape
======================
Great care has been taken to avoid popups. When using cockpit- or chase near view you should not see terrain and objects building up in the distance while driving on the normal racing line.

2 versions
==========
The track is released in two versions:

* Moose Challenge (MC) http://mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=3222
* Elk Fun (EF) http://mtm2.com/~tracks/dl.cgi?dl=3221

In MC, texture grip is set to various levels,
i.e. gravel will be quite slippery and mud even more.
The track layout requires you to make a full lap on the oval before leaving the speedway toward checkpoint 8.
EF is the slightly easier version, with all textures set to hi-grip and no full oval lap.
Otherwise, MC and EF are identical.

Which version is best for me?
=============================
Judging from the discussions during the beta testing, this seems largely a matter of individual preferences.
This being said, if you are using a digital controller, you will most likely prefer EF.
If you enjoy racing the AI computer trucks, the AI is a lot more competitive in EF.
Finally, if you are using a force-feedback wheel, you should absolutely at least try MC: you might like it.
To help you getting the feel for sliding around the oval, I have included a pure oval race in the MC version. The AI is not competitive but you can look at your lap times.

What is that weird ground box in the lake?
==========================================
This is not a mistake. Such a thing actually existed. For the Swiss national exhibition 2002 a rusty cube called the "monolith" of the size of a 4 floor building,
was placed into a beautyful lake.
It has been removed, but you can see pics here http://www.picswiss.ch/NE-L04.html

Credits
=======
Big thanks to:
- the MTMG beta testers for providing me with me lots of friendly and useful feedback special thanks to
SLO_COPE,
Winterkill,
Phineus,
Malibu350 (some textures and most objects I customized come from his site).
- TRI for making the game
- Guitar Bill for making Traxx

Enjoy
Rocketalces

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:20 am 

Had a few laps on it so far and i must say. If you're looking for something easy to ride on, forget the challenge version. However, for those who have what it take this one offer a great layout and a fun scenery. She's very difficult to master with a fair consistancy. I've managed laps in the 2:38: and 2:39 rqange several times and any misshaps resulted in major time loss.

For those interested, i've add the replay of a laps in 2:39:90 and 2:38:58 on Team SLO's replay page

------------------
Jumper
Only those who will risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (22-04-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:42 pm 
Trackologist

Ahhh yes, well done, rocketalces! I've been away for a few (slackin'), but I'm about to fire up some reviews...a heap of em, actually lol. I'll jump around (no pun intended), but for the most part I'll start from the most recent and work backwards. Some good stuff being released here lately, and this is definitely one of em!

More to come...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:48 pm 

I watched the replay and I am just amazed. Driving three such fast laps in a row is a truly impressive performance. Well done Jumper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:27 am 
Trackologist

Fast Lap: 2:38.58 (Moose Challenge) by SLO_Jumper
Garage Settings: 1100 medium tires/soft suspension

It may take me 10 months to get to it, but dang it, when I say I’m gonna do a review, I mean it lol. You know, initially I thought to myself that it was terrible how I let this one get away, how it may have been a little more popular with a fitting review under its belt. But then again, “LaPaMa’s Elk Fun” and “Moose Challenge” are currently sitting at 157 & 184 downloads respectively, so needless to say they didn’t need no stinkin’ fancy-smancy review to help bolster their popularity. Besides, tracks speak for themselves – either positively or negatively. I just like talking about em, and this is the only place where my posts don’t get deleted, so that’s why I do em here lol. Honestly though, I do love talking about tracks, and guys like Rocketalces not only make it easy, but a heck of a lot of fun as well. :)

LaPaMa” was Rocket’s second track, and if ever the phrase “leaps and bounds” applied to an individual’s work, it’s his. Check this out – the guy has made three tracks; the first one “LaPaLu” (made in Dec of 2002), left quite a bit to be desired. The layout wasn’t that bad, but it was riddled with flaws, and its “race worthiness” left a little something to be desired. But as I said, it was his first time out, so no problem there. In April of 2003 he returned with “LaPaMa”, and three months later topped it off with “LaPaWop”, a track that earned top honors in last years Expo. It’s like the guy took a 4-month crash course on how to refine MTM 2 tracks and came out blasting lol. It would be foolish (and maybe a touch arrogant) to suggest that the monumental leap in the quality of his work is due to the Beta Room here at MTMG. It helps, but it still comes down to the author having to do the work. Also bear in mind the prize winning “LaPaWoP” was done without the assistance of the Beta Room, which to me speaks volumes about what this guy is capable of. Personally, I like his sense of style, and his attentiveness to the way his tracks come across visually. He doesn’t over do it by any means; the emphasis is still on the track itself, but the way he intertwines the two compliment the finished product extremely well. I suppose I could’ve said he achieves a nice balance between his layouts and the way his tracks look, but that’s just too straightforward for my taste lol. Oh, and it might help to know that he has a flare for making his tracks challenging (a nicer way of saying “hard” lol), to the point that one would think he’s intentionally trying to make racers cry or scream out in frustration lol.

When Rocket dropped this track in Beta Room, he opened up with this line: “If you have sold the brakes to your monster truck, you won’t be happy with this one…” LOL well, there’s more to “LaPaMa” than just standing on the brakes. I hardly ever use that particular feature when I race, but trust me, they’re definitely a good thing to have when driving this baby. I didn’t expound on this in the first paragraph, but like “Black Gold” there are two versions of “LaPaMa”: Elk Fun and Moose Challenge. Unlike “Black Gold”, Rep Fan wasn’t involved in the beta testing process, so we were spared having to listen to his incessant whining about it being too hard and suggestions that it have more flat, wide straight-aways so he can feel safe lol. The differences between the two versions are as follows:

• The oval near the start of the course that require racers to loop around it 1.5 times before proceeding thru the track on Moose Challenge.
• On Elk Fun the oval is there physically, but the checkpoints are repositioned to negate the loop.
• For Moose Challenge he used realistic texture type settings. For example, the gray texture used for the oval and later in the track (checkpoints 6 thru 9) is set to gravel, which was by design to give the effect of a gravel road.
• On Elk Fun he states that he used “high grip” texture type settings, which I’m guessing was default and dirt.

The tracks are identical otherwise. Elk Fun is easier, more racer-friendly, however, rough roads, acute turns, and semi-extreme angled roads make both versions extremely challenging. You’ll have to temper your speed overall, but especially so when approaching the inclined road just after checkpoint four and en route to checkpoint six. You're mislead into thinking that the result will be routine MTM 2 flight with a predictable landing, but you'll quickly discover that's not the case. Failing to anticipate and adjust accordingly could prove beneficial to your opponents, and given the grueling nature of this track, don’t be surprised if they cheer and take great delight in your misfortune lol. The upside is if you’re not quick enough on the trigger to hit “H-H” and avoid disaster, you can recover easily and rejoin the fray. It’s interesting how he changed up after checkpoint ten, choosing to switch to a wide, blacktop surface that takes you through what looks to be the beginnings of a city. It’s more of an illusion, however, because after passing two office buildings you’re thrown right back into moose country to begin again. And speaking blacktop roads, that’s probably the only place you’ll get a shot at a clean pass. If you can hold your own to that point, a momentary lapse in concentration may be all you need to make a move on your opponent. Then again, in the portions of the track where you “take flight” may also work to your advantage if the leader gets a bit too aggressive.

I’d be doing Rocket a disservice if I didn’t mention the great lengths he went through to give the illusion that the game’s viewing distance is infinite. What I’m referring to is how the models and terrain are rendered before they’re seen so that they’re not forming as you drive the course. It’s pretty interesting actually, and he’s the only guy I know that puts so much effort in achieving such an effect. If you’re not quite sure what I’m talking about, take a spin on say…Crazy 98 and take note of how things come into to view as you drive around it, and then run this track. The difference should be readily apparent afterwards.

I love this guy’s stuff, I really do. Sure, his tracks are demanding, and the slipperiness of Moose Challenge may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but quite a few pro racers love the challenge of overcoming those types of extreme characteristics in an attempt to run near perfect laps. It’s a rare achievement, but when you finally nail a clean one, boy ‘o boy what a great feeling it is!

Rocket, I know this one’s late in coming, but great job, man—outstanding work, especially given the fact it was only your second track. Sure, your track-making resume is a tad on the slim side (lol), but I for one have absolutely no qualms proclaiming you as one of my favorite track makers. Your unorthodox style is very refreshing, and even though your work inspires me to spew socially unacceptable language in large quantities, I love your stuff, bud lol. Copey rating: a resounding "10" out of 10 possible points!! Again, superb job, partner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:16 am 

Quote:
It would be foolish (and maybe a touch arrogant) to suggest that the monumental leap in the quality of his work is due to the Beta Room here at MTMG.

Not foolish but simply the truth. Not only did I learn a lot in terms of technique, but as importantly, all advise and criticism was given
in a very encouraging tone. The Beta Room and this forum are a great place. Thanks again guys.

Now that Copey is nearly up to speed with his reviews, I guess I have to shift gears on my current track project (and stop reading that bestseller "Track Making, Procrastination, and You").

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:02 am 

hehe how about a rally?

looking forward to run on whatever the next one will be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:23 am 

I drove this track yesterday, and i must say i'm stunned. Not only on how it feels or on how it drives, but also on how it looks.

I was stunned when i first drove Lapawop, and i think it deffinately deserved to win the expo 2003, but this one feels even better.
if there was one thing wrong with Lapawop (which there wasn't but i have to say something :D ) was that it was sometimes a little to difficult to enjoy online racing. Offline it was without a doubt the best track i've ever driven.

But i think this one will push lapawop of its number one position.

Great work, and keep 'm coming. I love them 8)

Post subject: lapa
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:41 am 
I was there with OLD_mumrha when he drove this track and i fully agree with him, the track feels natural like a copy of a real landscape with very cool corners between trees and different surfaces along the track.
When i drove the track with mumrha and cope i didnt know who builded it, we where trying out some new tracks that sorted out to be the new slo apl and i guessed rite it was the same maker as lapawop.
Last year before the expo contest ended i predicted that lapawop would win and it did, great job !!

Ronald
(OLD_LoL_Evil) zonename