MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

Post subject: Beta track '13rip' rdy for testing
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:14 pm 

Hey guys, I have uploaded beta for my new track. Plans are having it released this upcoming weekend. Let me know if there are any major issues with the track, suggestions and of course any and all comments are welcome. Click HERE to download the track.

The beta file will only be available until Tuesday evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:02 pm 

Very interesting layout. I ran only a few laps so yet i have not look for nor found any cuts. The only issue i saw right away was the layout at the jonction from cp 3 to 4 is a bit confusing, perhaps a road sign pointing cp4 with an arrow would do the trick. And again the same jonction coming back the other way between cp 7 and 8.
Of course it's a straight forward easy to learn layout so it take only a lap or 2 to figure out where to go. I still think it would be better without that confusion. I'm kind of busy for now but i'll run a few more laps and perhaps will comment further tomorrow evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:13 pm 

Will definately do something about the confusion of where to go, wanted to keep models/textures limited to help minimize file size being im only on 56k... and didn't want to have finishing touches until it's released.

I had also noticed the start/finish looks terrible compared to the numbered cp's. Don't know why that is but I don't like it, which brings me to possible change of cp markers/gates also.

If anyone else notices the shotty start/finish, I will definately change it, but if just me/my computer than it can stay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:57 pm 
Glow Ball

The <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image1.jpg">start / finsih</a> line is easy enough to fix but what's that bump doing up there?

Speaking of checkpoints, you have several <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image9.jpg">floaters</a>

I'll have a look at those <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image5.jpg">new textures</a> again and see if we can't fix these couple seams. And how are you coming with that animation?

Some abrupt texture transitions <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image3.jpg">here</a> and <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image4.jpg">here</a> as well as a couple other spots. I checked <a href="http://cownap.com/~mtmg/addon.html">miyh's addons</a> and there aren't any for this so while you could probably run them under water at that one spot, we should really come up with something for those hard edge spots.

I never like <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image6.jpg">this</a> sort of thing because there's probably nothing to be done.

However, something can be done about <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image8.jpg">here</a> and <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image7.jpg">here</a>. Not that it's a big deal but the idea is to move the edge out one half grid square on the terrain. The game renders those breaks at the top of one diagonal and then the bottom of the next. You just have to move it so the smooth part is along the top ridge. A pain yes but will look much better, I think, than it does now.

Lastly, I don't know if this is an intended road but the <a href="http://cownap.com/~forum/beta/13rip/Image2.jpg">boxes</a> look floaty.

Oh, one more. Before you release we should figure out a way to get a custom palette in using tracked2. It would make it look far better than it does at the moment.

Now I should go run charles' track. Got tons to <strike>pick at</strike> comment on for that one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:08 pm 

where do you download this...? i cant find it anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:11 pm 
Glow Ball

The link is in the first post ^^ up there ^^

Quote:
Click HERE to download the track.

Or in the quote right ^^ here ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:54 pm 

Response to Phineus

start/finish: Good news on start/finish if you can fix it. Bump is gone, was left over when I planned on building track in valley, opted with surrounding water.

Floaters: I attempted to raise the ground but found that to be defeating the purpose of surrounding water, easy fix, replaced with box layers, looks better with 'em too.

Texture transitions: Working on this one still, not sure yet but may end up cutting/pasting whats there to create two more .raw files. One to match the edges and on for center texture??? up in the air still...

Straights at 45: As for this, most of it is smooth now, including the boxy area around cp's. Smoothed them out and placed box layers to get rid of the floating issue.

Ani: Got it working and looks pretty good but still have problem when running the track more than once. After race ends and you re-race without exiting the game, the animation stops. Not sure why it does this but it happened before on another track I never released.

Pointers and/or tips to remedy the Animation issue would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:12 am 
Glow Ball

> Good news on start/finish if you can fix it.

Me? lol, hehe. Um, I don't know the fonts and junk you use. Whyn't you whip something up... converting is a snap.

> Texture transitions: Working on this one still

Check your mail. I didn't like yesterday's textures so I redid them, and tossed in a couple extras. But, I fear I left one out. I'll check, or you'll let me know, I'm sure.

> After race ends and you re-race without exiting the game, the animation stops.

That's a glitch in the game. If you run a different track then go back to yours then the animations will go again. The solution is to place them on a model. What FPS are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:32 am 

Phineus wrote:
> Good news on start/finish if you can fix it.

Me? lol, hehe. Um, I don't know the fonts and junk you use. Whyn't you whip something up... converting is a snap.

Cp's are two pieces, so I may leave the arch thing there and place texture that resembles checkered flag across the ground...??? did it before and looked descent, better than what I have now...

Phineus wrote:
> After race ends and you re-race without exiting the game, the animation stops.

That's a glitch in the game. If you run a different track then go back to yours then the animations will go again. The solution is to place them on a model. What FPS are you using?

Using a model just might work. Any signs the same WxH as a box layer you know of that I can add my Animation to? Thats the size I need for best quality from the .ani

(Edit: just the W squared, forgot H was adjustable)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:49 am 
Glow Ball

> and place texture that resembles checkered flag across the ground...

I did that in a track recently, and another fella put cp numbers down on the road too. Yep, it can work quite well.

> WxH as a box layer

Each square is 32 feet. A model would only be four points so that won't be much to create. I'll look into it when checking that texture I forgot about.

Post subject: Re: Beta track '13rip' rdy for testing
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:38 pm 

Behihm wrote:
Click HERE to download the track.

The beta file will only be available until Tuesday evening.

Turns out I am running ahead of schedule (ride flaked on me), I have already uploaded the new beta. If you have the old one, just copy and replace.

NOTE: I have removed all the models except the CP's to make the file smaller for me to upload.

Hoping the next one I release won't have to be a beta and I am still shooting for a Sunday release.

Post subject: 13 rip
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:33 pm 
First off, great track Behihm, fun and tricky in parts, ran it a few times and nailed some prety good lap times. So i went to check replay out and watch my line and for improvements and it got an uxceptable error and it the details it sayd too many demo indicies. WTH is that LOL. And it wouldnt play the replay, ill try podding by itsself and see what happens. just thought u might wanna know about it.

Post subject: 13rip
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:53 pm 
yup, i put it in a seprate ini with the track all by itself and still came up with that error. dunno what to say, but thats what betaing is for :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:45 pm 
easy company

> too many demo indicies.

A) You've exceeded the games replay length capabilities.
A-Fix) Try saving a replay of fewer laps.

B) You're driving too fast.
B-Fix) slow down :o)

Behihm, I changed up the finish line model a little, see if this works better for ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:50 pm 

Hey fun track there. We ran it last nite for the first time. There was some confussion laps 1 & 2 lol. Some arrow signs might be helpful.
That high banked corner is a killer lol.
Theres a small cut between cp 1 and cp2 its tuff to make with any speed but thot u might want to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:02 pm 
boy am I dumb. lol that was the problem, thats what i get for popping my head in a forum filled with mtm2 masters hehe.

Quote:
B) You're driving too fast.
B-Fix) slow down :o)

lol i tried but i still turned a 2.36.30. Won't happen again. LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:27 am 
Glow Ball

A couple observations.

The updated sign textures look fine now.

It's tough to judge models when there's no models ;-)

There are a few road seam issues. But! you're using the extra wide road so there's little to be done with that. So, it's noted; now we can forget about it.

There are about sixty textures in here from sidewinder. Most are not in the track. Is there any way to purge them? Is it possbile to just edit them out of the tex and tty files? If not, then consider podzipping before releasing. If you're concerned about up and downloading with a modem, that's really the ticket.

Checkpoint three should probably be moved to just past the turn leading up to checkpoint eight. That will possibly help with the directional confusion on the first couple laps - you'd only have to pass through it once on a lap. On the other hand, there isn't that much confusion. The second lap seems enough to me, and I'm by no means an instinctive racer.

The layout is not as 'fast' as previous Behihm masterpieces. No beefs from me as long as that's by design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:23 am 

I haven't run the track yet, but those corners with all that water around looks a little tricky if you pass them with 5 trucks close to your own truck. How about some low short fences in the corners?

The lay-out I find excellent, ps - is it a 1 minute track? [nyuk]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:28 pm 
Glow Ball

Is anybody getting the braking problem when landing on a ground box on this one? I got it a couple times.