It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:12 am 
Trackologist

Sure bud - send it over. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:58 am 
The Dog House

Sorry Cope, it wont let me send it. Said its to big. 2.07MB Doesn't seem that big. Man that sucks. I need to sign up for more room from MSN. F'em. Well Ill just have to upload again. Sick of this track already. LoL. Time to retire from track making any way. Thanks Cope =Well, I was able to send it to you any way Cope, my o'ladys e.mail. Netscape. Ill be looking forward to what you think I need to do for it Bro. Thanks again Cope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:44 pm 
Trackologist

Muuuuuuch improved, Charles - nicely done, bud. Let's see, at a glance it seems that your campfire scenes are the problem. Also, between cp's 4, 5, and 6 you have quite a few models in there, so maybe it would be worth your while to set a few things (including the campfire displays) to complex...or maybe there's a way to get around the little bit of lag it induces without going that route. It's certainly tolerable, that's for sure, but if your goal is to have a lag-free run, well yeah, something's gotta give.

Lastly, this shot here - the water table seems to be a touch high, causing the water to show up intermittently. I know Wint loves that kind of stuff, but uh...lol. Just thought I'd point it out - not sure if that's what you intended in an effort to have a subtle water trap thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:07 pm 
The Dog House

Thanks Cope, yes I like the water area. Its there so that at times it comes up out of nowhere on you. Catches you off guard in the middle of your turn takes you in to the hill. Makes you adjust before you get there. I take it you also dont like it? Seems I lost that poll LoL. Ill try the complex setting. If that dont work, ill just have to do a little changing. Much much thanks for the help man. Does look better dont it. Have to thank Phineus for the idea and push on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:46 pm 
The Dog House

I put things on complex and the models disappered in the game. Im I not doing something right and what can I do if any thing to correct it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:00 pm 
Trackologist

As for the water, no, it doesn't bother me at all. I was just kinda poking fun at Wint because I know he doesn't care for that "effect", that's all. :)

As for the model issue and setting things to complex, I can't really help ya there, partner. Off the top of my head though it seems to me you'd have to specify which models to set to complex scenery, but if you're saying you did that, and everything disappeared...lol, well that's a tad outside my field of expertise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:02 pm 
Glow Ball

Models levels in traxx correspond to graphic scenery levels in the game. Set them to complex and they'll be visible. The idea is to get rid of the lag on sparse and normal levels. If you like to race, there's no lag. If you like scenery and eye candy, then you can have that too. The point is to provide options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:06 pm 
Glow Ball

>> As for the water, no, it doesn't bother me at all.

Water coming up out of the ground is equivalent to invisible barriers. If you can't see it before hand, it makes a race unfair. In short, bad for competition.

> and everything disappeared...lol, well that's a tad outside my field of expertise

No it's not. He's running on sparse in the game and needs to run on complex. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:20 pm 
The Dog House

Thanks gentlemen. Ill get it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:38 pm 
Trackologist

LOL here we are again - Phin and I on somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum. I do see what he's saying, and I definitely understand his point, however (comma) I certainly don't agree with his analogy about the intermittent water table being the equivalent of an invisible wall...at least not from a racer's point of view. Invisible walls negate openings where you would naturally expect there to be one, such as in Shaggz's " DMS Farmroad" which is probably one of only a handful of tracks I ever wanted to pour gasoline on and burn lol. But at the same time, invisible walls were commonplace when that track was made, and many track makers used them to close off shortcuts in lieu of making adjustments in the terrain and using models, so I do take that into consideration. What you have in your track maybe best described as a nuisance lol. After looking at how the water appears, then reappars, yeah, it's kinda hokey.

Interestingly enough, on Muskoka Road Phin used "somewhat" of the same effect, and nicely done (1 & 2). The difference is there's water on both sides of the road for that "flooded out" effect. Yes, the water level fluctuates, but that seems to be a natural characteristic of bodies of water in the game. The point is, however, the water is there some times, and not there at other times, hence some will still have an advantage, but not to the degree they would on your track. You could also go with something like this where there's more exposed road despite the subtle changes in the water level.

Ah decisions, decisions, eh? Hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:06 pm 
Glow Ball

Our game has another example in which track conditions change depending on time and location. Namely: trains and other moving objects. But, in those cases, like muskoka, you see them before you get there. Likewise for the unreleased undeniable ( 1 & 2 ). In these instances you know what you're contending with before it clunks you over the head. You have time to react and alter your course. Alp was actually thinking to take it out but I asked him to leave it in. Done right and it's great. Hence my initial recommendation in this track. Either change the road or change the water. Either would solve the problem. Racing should be the skill of the driver, not the happenstance luck of an unforeseeable tide. A track should not ambush a racer. If Cope imagines that's the opposite of his view, then I'm gonna put invisible trains in my next track and see how that <i>hits</i> him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:01 pm 
Trackologist

LOL but on Muskoka you don't have time to react and change your course, Phin. There's a slight advantage given to those who just "happen" to catch that water at the right time. And yes, I know you made it, but I ran quite a few laps on that baby in a HoF dogfight with RIP_Shaggy, so I know every little nuance of that track, which is how you shave off mere fractions of a second. The only way to make it so that it's totally, utterly dependent upon the driver's skill is to leave out the water (since it fluctuates) so that's it's absolutely the same each and every time you traverse that section of the road. What Charles is really hoping to do is compromise so that the water doesn't just appear outta nowhere like it currently does. The bottom line is if he makes it like yours...or even like Devildog did in "Dog Country", it won't be 100% skill-based. There will be some luck involved.

The funny thing is you'll probably disagree - I expect that lol. All I know is I've worked enough tracks to know how to shave off microseconds, and where it can be done vs where it can't. I got the HoF time on Muskoka because I hit that water part at exactly the right time, which allows you to cruise thru there at about 92 mph...somewhere in there. Otherwise it drops you down in the mid 80s.

You can put invisible trains in your tracks if you wanna, and I'll do to em what I did with that track I mentioned with the overabundance of invisible walls lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:48 pm 
Glow Ball

All I'm saying is in one instance you know what you're contending with, and in another you don't. One scenerio is preferrable to the ambush that inadvertantly puts you out of a race. Fastlaps are an entirely different story. Interaction with a train will affect your time as surely as the tide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:58 am 
The Dog House

How about object boxes such as Cps or the fillers as I call them, for tree trunks or any thing your trying to use them for. Do they also need the settings changed? Sparse Normal or Complex. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:59 pm 
Glow Ball

If a tree is normal or complex, then it's trunk must also be normal or complex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:50 pm 
The Dog House

Please remove EPRR2. So your saying yes that object boxes sould be set the same as the trees? I dont follow you. Sorry I like the water hazard. If your leading a race and get in to it, the person behind you has a chance to catch up or the other way around. It can be a factor in the race. I have set models to complex, I get less lag IT SEEMS. Now I know I could be wrong, so PLEASE advise on this. For Im not sure. Any thing else that needs work, let me know. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:44 pm 
Trackologist

Hehe the water hazard as an idea is fine; it's how it displays in the track that's the issue, Charles. Again, look at the pics - shows you a couple of different variations on how to go about doing it.

As for the trees, yes - that's exactly what he's saying. Be consistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:33 pm 
The Dog House

Please remove EPRr3Beta, Thank You