MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

Post subject: 68Z32A NFS Rally & Rumble World
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:05 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Can someone do a review on my new track, the 68Z32A NFS Rally?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:38 am 
Glow Ball

A lot of nice stuff happening in this one. Very nice texture work. A few seams in the swurvy parts but still very very sharp looking. And the semi transparent checkpoint markers are kinda fun too. At first I thought there wasn't much terrain work, but once you get going you see it's subtly handled. I'm not sure what's going on with the models, I'll prolly have to spend more time looking around, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

If you haven't had a gander at this one yet,
be sure to give it a look-see next chance you get.

[tu]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:31 pm 
The Dog House

I sure like the lay out and all the room to run. Terrain was done very nice. The only thing that I really didnt like was the check points. Dont like the blindness for that moment. Not that it caused problems. The lay out takes care of it for you. Very nice work Mat. [tu]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:53 am 
MTM2 Fanatic

[thanx]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:30 pm 

i'm very late for this but i guess it's part of life.
I found some major cuts on it bud. www.hof.slojumper.com/replay/68Z32A_1_3 ... 3_15ms.zip

The kind of cuts that ruin a ride on a darn cool track. Sry i couldn't get on it earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:15 pm 

I think your site is down Jumper. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:20 pm 

Just done reuploading everything. Thx Scat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:38 am 

Thx Jump, it worked this time. [tu]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:56 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

YIKES!

I had no idea those terrible shortcuts were there.

I thought my high-up terrain would stop all shortcuts in their tracks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:06 pm 
Glow Ball

Live and learn, eh? These racer guys will teach us way more than we ever wanted to know, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:54 pm 
Trackologist

Hehe yeah, those dang racers!! I've only run this a few times, but I'll tell ya what, I was impressed. I love the speed as well as the generous amount of elbow room Matt afforded racers. It looks to be free of excess models and ssssstuff that can sometimes induce lag, which is a major turn-off to racers.

I think the obvious has already been pointed out by SLO_Jumper. I know the intent was to model 68Z32A after a NFS style track by closing off alternate routes and forcing racers to stay on the road, but with only three checkpoints over a track of this length, a pro racers first order of business is to seek out every possible means of dissecting your hard work. In this case the result is a mid-to-high 3 minute rally cut down to a short 1.5 minute sprint. I've seen quite a few track makers cry like a baby after viewing what racers have done to their track lol. Ok it's not funny really, but the point is one you're already familiar with; beta testing prior to release. If you dropped this baby in the beta room and said, "Hey guys, all I'm looking for are shortcuts, so if you find any please let me know." That's tells the testers exactly what they need to focus on, and the only extraneous feedback you would have received would have been related to functionality (game crashes and/or anomalies that impact playability and the like) or things that seriously detracted from the track's overall race-worthiness. Still, you've come a long way, partner, so by all means keep up the good work...and do take your time. You'll find that in the end you and everyone else will be happier with your work. :)

This is an abbreviated review since I really didn't set aside time to conduct an in-depth study of every little crack and crevice. I have to clean the house today before The Warden gets home, and since I need full use of my fingers to write more reviews in the near future, I decided it was smart to toss in a short review for this one and do what I was tol…what I have to do lol. At any rate, based on my initial impression after running three laps on it, 68Z32A registered a respectable 7.75 on the Copey Rating scale. Yes, the shortcuts are a major issue, but by in large I think most people would prefer to run the track according to its layout since the shortcuts don't provide for "value added" in terms of fun and excitement - not in my opinion, anyway. Running 6832A in its entirety will give racers a fast, fun, thrilling race, and should prove to be pretty popular with beginner-intermediate racers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:49 pm 

The point is good about the beta room but in this case however i dont think to many of us were available to beta anything at the time of the release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:45 pm 
Trackologist

I know I wasn't around, but at the same time, any seasoned track maker could have told him that he needed more checkpoints without even looking for shortcuts. The layout of the track coupled with him dispensing checkpoints like they cost $800.00 a piece pretty much tells ya there are going to be cuts, major ones lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:51 pm 

Quote:
The layout of the track coupled with him dispensing checkpoints like they cost $800.00 a piece
:-) I tot they did cost 800.00 a piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:20 am 
MTM2 Fanatic

Actually, it's about a thousand dollars per check, at least where I live. Let's see what the whole thing cost:

$3500 - checkpoints
$500 - rental for the land itself
$750 - rented billboard, which I decorated with the Harry Potter logo.
$1024 - all the road signs
$2500 - Fifty tons of concrete for the sharp ninety-degree turns.
$2250 - Equipment rental
$125 - Vegetation, by the ponds
$4000 - Paid to the road company to put down the roads

What a bite out of the pocketbook!

This comes to the grand total of...

um...

$14,649.00

To tell you the truth, I don't believe why I spent all that, especially on a long track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:04 pm 

Quote:
$4000 - Paid to the road company to put down the roads
lmao, Mat. At that price it's really to bad we use only 1/3 of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:21 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Perhaps I should spend less on roads and spend more on checkpoints.

Judging by construction, I'd say that the check points are more expensive for several reasons - A, they're half visible, which is a major technological dilemma. B, they span the whole width of the road, which means there's more material to buy. And C, the guy who developed them took a while to do it, AND he was eating potato chips as he did it, AND that meant he made so many mistakes, it took several months to fix it.

My next race track, another NFS style one, will be included with five or six different tracks all in one, including a CNR. However, it will be modeled after, say NFS5 or 6, so there will be a few alternate routes.

Also to be included will be several trucks, including a police cruiser for the CNR, a getaway truck (ditto), and a few others.

This time, I won't waste my money on roads that no one will use.