MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Post subject: Glass Hills by Matagasco
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 6:37 am 
Ack, my description got cut off =/ Here it is in full.

This is a pro rally, built completely from scratch. It might be difficult to get good at, but it flows nicely once you get it down.

It is based in snow covered mountains, and goes through a series of tunnels. Many objects are used in a relatively small area, so it may lag slower computers some. Although, noone who has tested the track has had any problems.

A good lap time is around a 2:35, with the fastest as of now being a 2:29. I recommend trying it on the Night setting, it looks the best in my opinion. =)

Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:01 pm 
Trackologist

Well, just when I said race track production where rallys and circuits are concerned are down, out pops several new tracks!!! No complaints from me, however - none at all!

As for the track itself, I've only run it twice, but from the very beginning I had this feeling this one would be a keeper...and it is! I love the originality in the layout - nothing really fancy, mind you, but it's...different. Initially I thought the the tunnel models were a bit overused, but after a few laps, the layout grew on me. Image

Although this track is based on snow covered mountains, the road texture is very nice to race on. The author is right on the money when he says it's not the easiest of tracks to run, but it's definitely learnable. The series of sharp turns, mini jumps and uneveness in certain parts of the road make it a challenge, but this one will prove to be lots of fun to race one or one or with a few others provided all involved are skilled racers and are familiar with the track.

From an objective standpoint I really don't have any knocks against this track. All the cp's work, and as for the would-be lag, I didn't notice any...not at all. I'm not sure how it will handle night time racing with several headlights in those tunnels, but we'll surely find out!

All 'n all this is a very good track, Matagasco - I applaud you on your effort, bud. Hehe--I kinda get the feeling you've been around and have just changed your name, but that's not important really. I'm just appreciative there's another track maker out there putting out very nice products. Image

On a scale of 1 to 10...I'm going to call this one a 9, which means it's a must have if you're a pro racer! Once again, great job, Matagasco - we'll see ya next time around!

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 29-12-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 12:30 am 

Yeah this is a cool track for sure, It's a good length which takes some time getting used to each corner as some corners look the same and braking is needed.

It has a few MX kinda sections on it which I like as anyone would know that if they downloaded any of my tracks Image

I raced it with Matagasco today online with 6 other people causing all sorts of carnage lol.

Btw COPE, Matagasco is a old MTM2 player that used to play it over 2 years ago like me Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:17 am 
Trackologist

Cool! Hehe--I knew he didn't just appear outta know where, not with a track like that! Hope to see ya around the zone some time bud, and definitely pop in SLO's Event - http://www.teamslo.com/race-rumble.htm - they're a blast!

And this track will definitely be featured in the next one!!

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 29-12-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:09 pm 
Thanks a lot for the reviews guys =)

I put a lot of time into the track, and was worried that there might not be much demand for a race track in mtm2 anymore. I'm glad it's being played and enjoyed, that makes it worth all the work. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 11:56 pm 

Well I gotta say this was a real surprise seeing yet another track being released that looked like it was worth downloading!

Was nice to race on & loved the custom texture work....looked great at night like you suggested!

As for those tunnels, I noticed them on every corner, so I have a question, please don't take it the wrong way, it's mere constructive critisicm Image Did you put those on every corner because you did'nt want to make corners with your custom textures? I make tracks too & I've found it's much more rewarding to take the time to do something even if it takes longer to get the track released or is hard work than to find a way to avoid the corner work.

Again, please don't take that the wrong way, as good tracks like the one you just produced are always GREATLY APPRECIATED especially now since track making is at a all time low.

I'll finish off saying that I love the name & don't be worried that there is'nt enough demand, there's HEAPS & I mean HEAPS of demand for great tracks like this!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:04 am 
I actually started on the turn textures, the track was all snow on the straights, some turns were snow, some were ice, but the ice was blinding and I thought it might annoy people. A lot of the turns are different angles and I didn't feel like texturing them all, so I tried the buildings in the ice corners. Turned out I liked it, they were kinda different. So I made the dirt and left the tread marks off it to save time, and did all the corners that way.

But you are right, it was a way of getting around making turn textures, sorta. If I didn't like it thought I probably would have gone back and made them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:09 am 
And thanks again for reviewing and giving feedback. There were a few times while making this that I wondered what I was doing it for, thinking noone would play it anyway. It's great to see people playing it and giving me feedback on it. I wasn't planning on making anything else, but the good response on this one has me considering some more, which I would put more time into if I decide to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 3:33 am 

Was a pleasure reviewing it Image It's great tracks like this that keeps this game alive! By all means please do more, will definately look forward to more from you! How long did this one take you to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:35 am 

Great to see someone getting back into the game! Tell your friends to get back in too Image. There are plenty of people still playing and enjoying this game, just look at KC's forum and the main mtm bbs...hope to see and hear more from you soon!

------------------
Robby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:49 am 
This one was about 48 hours of work, but I did it in a few days, so I was working on it pretty much non-stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:44 pm 

Image Image WOW!! Only 2 days? Including all the texture work? Tracks usually take me a few weeks to a few months...but I only work on them a few hours each day & thats not every day either hehe

[This message has been edited by SLO_GutterboyMG (edited 31-12-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:47 pm 
Trackologist

Yep, I too hope you continue to make tracks. I knew this one would be well received right after I ran it. I actually saw guys advertising in the main tonight, "Glass Hills on 27" "Glass Hills on 15", etc.

I also ran this one at night, and it looked great!! I will say, however, to qualify my review...I'm a racer, and I don't know the first thing about making a track. I simply admire those who do it, and do it well, hence my comments are strictly from a racer's point of view vs a trackmakers perspective, like Gutterboy. Just so you know Image

As for GB (Gutterboy) and his frequency with respect to how often he works on tracks...hehe, I'll give you the real deal; he only works on them when I threaten him, and lately that hasn't been working. He takes FOREVER!!! Hehehe--I give him a hard time, but he too does one heck of a job in the track making department. If you're reading this GB...times up; get back to work. Image

I tell ya Matagasco, rarely have I seen this much correspondence over a track. You should feel pretty good about that, bud. Well deserved. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:14 am 

Very interesting track. Got to play Cope on it in several occasion. We had fun close race on every one of those occasions. This layout is fairly difficult to master but easy to run for fun. It sure keep your brain busy the entire lenght.