Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Post subject: TNT-RIR by DaveTheSmasher
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:46 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Track: TNT-RIR by DaveTheSmasher
Type: Drag Race
Garage: 600ms

It appears that DaveTheSmasher has had much experience with drag race design, as he has created five in total. This particular one is a nearly perfect replica of a monster truck drag race on Richmond International Raceway. Dave has done a good job placing the cars (created by Slickster), the starting line, and many off-track obstacles. However, it also includes a few small problems that reviewers always love to talk about.

Though racers will probably pay more attention to winning the race, more curious people like me may notice seams about one grid square or two from the left of the track, here. I have seen many tracks like this, however, so I'll let him go. However, if you (by chance) manage to use one of the car jumps to escape to the off-track area, you may find that the corners of the raceway contain texture misalignments. Lastly, this area of the track, between where excessive computer opponents start and the actual track, contains seams where Dave could have blended the textures. However, DaveTheSmasher appears to have created his first track November 20, 2004, and new track makers are not really required to make custom textures. I didn't make my first custom ones for a long time.

A little more off-track business, grandstands line the race for spectators to cheer on the racers. However, if you look behind the empty grandstands, the part where spectators would sit appears over the supports. But this is minor, and Gold Mode is the only way to see it. Oh, there are also a few misalignments on the grass, as seen in the picture.

Some of you may also notice the press box on top of one of the grandstands. However, if you manage to get behind it, you will see that it is, technically, bottomless. Fortunately, the ordinary user would not even feel like going there.

Replica Fan's truck is located just behind the left starting point, although I am not quite sure what Dave wanted when he put it there (no offense, please). The strange thing is that it is steering towards the wall. If a truck were actually parked there, it would be steering away. I personally think that the inside track area (already equipped with semi trucks and tents) would be a better location.

Lastly, I want to say that DaveTheSmasher has done a good job in the creation of the barriers in the race car lane. However, observant (and slow) players might notice misalignments (here) on the walls. Also, I am not quite sure why the wall turns yellow here, although it's probably just a model problem.

Dave also says that two other stadium races are coming, and I think I will review them, too... I want to get in the habit of reviewing.

I have always been a very big fan of drag races, and this one is a very good example. I rate this one an 8 - eight stars for the construction and creativity, and minus only two for texture and model problems. Keep up the good work, Dave!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:44 pm 

I believe that those texture and model problems are my fault. He appears to have used the textures and walls from my Daytona 500. I'm not trying to accuse anyone, I just picked up on it. And so far I have failed to get rid of the yellow wall thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:47 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

If it isn't already, then, should I review your track, too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:48 pm 

Nope, not reviewed yet. Feel free to write one for me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:32 pm 
Glow Ball

Very nice write up Mat, with a good eye to detail. And nice job on the track Dave.

[tu]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:23 pm 
The Dog House

I knew I'd seen the textures some-place. Indeed a nice write up Mat. Seems you've put it all in a nut shell. lol. Nice Drag DTS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:11 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Okay, I'll review your Datona500 track as soon as I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:20 am 

Oh man Thank You so much for the top notch review my friends :D ... I cant belive people would take the time to review my stuff... All the comments are well apricaited and will help further my self as a track maker and I definetly hope that u guys would review my stuff again... Thanx again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:19 am 
MTM2 Fanatic

I will... :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:52 am 
Trackologist

Yes, a very nice review, Mat. I'd review drags, but uh . . . I wouldn't really know what I was talking about lol. Oh I can pick up on some things, but when it comes right down to it, I really couldn't tell you the differences between a good one and a not so good one in terms of performance. So yeah, keep it up the good work, Mat! 8)