MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

Post subject: cantopenTRK.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:52 pm 
Every time i try to open the truck i made in tracked2, i type in the correct trk. filename, hit enter, and then tracked2 just closes. What's going on here? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:03 pm 
easy company

TrackEd2 probably cannot find the art files associated with the truck bin model, or you've misspelled something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:59 pm 
Glow Ball

Names must be 8 characters long only, plus three letters for the TRK extension. No spaces allowed. If you try cpod, you might get a message that gives clues about what's wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:45 am 

As Mal says it's probably a missing or mis-named art or model file. If TrackEd2 can't find the TRK file you specify, it will give a warning message. Unfortunately for most other components if they are missing or have an error the program will just bomb out without giving you notice of what's wrong.

You're not getting a warning message about a missing TRK, so TrackEd2 is finding it; the problem is occurring when TrackEd2 reads your TRK. Most likely TrackEd2 either can't find a BIN model (for the truck body or wheels) listed in your TRK, or can't find a RAW texture file associated with one of these BIN models. Do as Phineus says and try loading into a diff program that might tell you what's up.

> Names must be 8 characters long only, plus three letters for the TRK extension

Up to 8 characters long... you can have less if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:19 am 

In the Vales/MTM2 forum you stated that you finally managed to create your pod, but that it caused an error when you tried to use it in-game.

My offer to debug it still stands. zip up the bits and pieces and send them to me, and I should be able to repair it for you (and let you know what was the cause at the same time).

ZOtm_BigDOGGe@yahoo.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:24 pm 

Well, I was able to fix his truck, but I have no idea what caused his podding problem. I told him I was going to post this info here in case an MTM2 forum member may know what went wrong.

I first extracted the files from his POD, and tried to open his model in Binedit, but it would not open.

When I opened his POD file using podview once again, I found that every file within it showed zero bytes (see picture)

Fortunately, he had also zipped up his entire art and models folders (and more, as I found duplicates of those folders in his ART folder), plus there were more files in a file called truck.zip.

By searching through all these, I was able to find copies of his custom model and texture files that contained data. I installed them and found I was able to pod up the truck in Tracked2 with no problems (no errors in the TRK file). I tested the truck in the game and it ran error-free.

And so, I have sent the podded truck back to him, but I could not tell him why his pod contained empty files (as seen in my picture). If anyone knows what went wrong, please post here, so he will know what and what not to do when he starts his next truck project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:43 am 

Can someone please help me out with this problem if they know the answer :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:01 am 
easy company

Get a copy of binedit2.2

Start up BE and go to 'Tools/Pod Extracter', hit the browse button and locate your trucks POD file and open it.
Once that's open hit the 'Folder' column header twice to bring your TRK file to the top or just scroll down to find it. Highlight (left mouse click) the TRK filename and check the box to the right of it.
Be sure that the 'Extract File Dependencies' and the 'Recreate Directory Structure' are checked then hit the 'Extract and Load' button.

Once you do that all the files that make up your truck will be in their proper directories so you can edit any part of the TRK by loading it into the truck editor (Tools/Truck Editor) or in the main BE window edit the body and tires models, swap bodies, tires, or repaint whatever. If any files are missing BE will tell you what's missing instead of crashing or creating bogus pod files.

You no longer need TrackEd2 to build a truck just like you do not need TrackEd2 to build a track since we have Traxx.

good luck with it either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:07 pm 

That fixed the problem completely, thanks a bunch [dance]