MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

Post subject: Caledon City 2002 by DeMoN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:35 am 

Here's my review:

I'll break the track down into different aspects which I feel are integral to a great drag track, rating them from 1 (terrible) to 10 (perfect)...
TEXTURES-10...Never before have I seen dirt textures for a drag track so realistic-looking. DeMoN did his textures a new way, actually making a new texture for each grid square on the track, and the result is simply amazing. It adds a great deal of realism to the track, and it's nice to see little touches like the dirt and concrete transfers being blended well and tire tracks from previous monster runs that outline the race course.
MODELS-9.5...The only reason they don't get a 10 is because some weren't painted absolutely perfectly. That being said, the cars are very unique and realistic, as are the crushed vans and the bus. No lag is apparent on my computer. The poles are just the right size, and aren't too hard to knock over. You don't get stuck on anything too. The stadium was redone from an MTM1 stadium and done very nicely, once again giving the track a unique setting and feel. The ramps are new custom .bins, and nice ones at that.
MODEL RAMPS-8.5...This is the only area of this track that I wasn't totally satisfied with. The cars don't give you much air when you hit the ramps in racing, and in freestyle, the same thing happens...not much air. It is very hard to do a good sky-wheelie. Other than that, everything seems to work well and is perfect. It would have been nice to hit the freestyle pyramid sideways, but not many people do this anyway. Everything else is very well set up, especially the realistic mud pit.
LAYOUT-10...The layout is VERY well done and thought out. For racing, it is a simple J-drag. The turns are somewhat tight, making it challenging, but not TOO challenging, so you can slide around them and improve your times. The tuff truck course is laid out nicely, and much in the same manner as the monster truck course, a J-style setup. For freestyle, the mud pit is a very nice touch, and realistic to boot...it'll bounce you around a bit, and even flip you if you're not careful! There is one car-van-bus-van-car pyramid, and of course the tuff truck ramps and cars as well.
OVERALL DRAGGING EXPERIENCE-10...This one's staying on my podded list, that's for sure. DeMoN really took his time on this track, and it showed here. It may not be a replica of a real track, but it is very realistic. The only thing I could think to complain about is something extremely minor, the car ramps for freestyle, and it may have been his intent to do them that way anyway Image. Great textures, great setup, unique bins, and a great layout make me wanna keep this track and continue racing it. Very well done.

------------------
-RobbyH14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:49 am 
Glow Ball

Looks like Copey has some competition! Nice job, Robby.

[img]http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/tracks/thumbs/caledoncitybydemons.jpg"%20border="0[/img]

And nice track too, Demon.

http://mtm2.com/~tracks/details.cgi?thistrack=715

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (16-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:20 am 

Awww...you know Cope's better Image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:30 am 
Trackologist

Oh no, no, no...I beg to differ with Phin; there's no competition here. The way I see it Robby is an allie! Oh and hey partner, my reviews aren't better, just different. Most of my friends tell me I'm different, too...but I'm not sure they mean it as a compliment. Maybe it's the tone in their voice when they say it. Hmmmm lol

Man you did an excellent job of breaking down the differnt aspects of the track, pointing out that which was positive, as well as things you felt the author could've improved upon. Heck, I was so impressed with the review I downloaded that bad-boy just so I could see what you were talking about. I was awful on it, but still, your review gave me much more insight to what the track was like, and what to look for on drags.

When it was all said and done...I found myself automatically going over to the "Copey Rating" machine and firing it up! But then I remembered track reviews don't get "Copey Ratings". Heck, maybe they should! lol

Once again, superb job, Robby. Like I said, I'm no dragster, but for those who are my guess is they'll appreciate reviews like that one, as will the author, I'm sure! Keep it up!!

Hehe spelled your name wrong twice! Are you sure it's not spelled "Robbie"? Hehehe

[This message has been edited by SLO_COPE (edited 25-08-2002).]