MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

Post subject: Monster Truck Grand Prix Series (MTGP) Tracks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:25 am 
Trackologist

In December of 1999 ObeOne created the first track of a series of “published works” he dubbed, “Soda tracks”. I remember telling him how much I enjoyed racing them because they promoted…well, violent and brutally aggressive racing chock full of excessive banging and bumping. Incidentally, that kind of racing (on those tracks) often times provide for some fantastic finishes. Yes, at times someone would fall victim to a fatal lag shot, forcing them to use the remainder of the race as practice lol, but more often than not the racing on Obe’s Soda tracks were high-powered and extremely intense.

It looks as though Cr@$hC@rt has taken a page (or 8) from Obe’s Soda tracks using the same texture sets and barrier models that enclose the track to create his own series known as, “Monster Truck Grand Prix” (MTGP). There are a few differences between the Soda tracks and Cr@$h’s MTGP series. The most notable is Cr@$h’s use of water. I’ve never been a big fan of water on tracks, however, when used sparingly, it provides for a nice change in tempo on tracks with a smooth line and relatively quick pace. I definitely subscribe to the theory that “less is more”, and in my opinion, MTGP 2 & 3 are examples whereby my man Cr@$h let the faucet run just a bit too long lol. MTGP 2 serves as the most glaring illustration of what I feel is an excessive use of water. It’s unfortunate because I think the layout and what he did up until the end is very good.

MTGP 4, 5, & 6 are my favorites. The layouts are simple, yet packaged with just enough variety to make them interesting. His usage of water seems to be just about right, with definite areas of sustained speed – all of which combine to make for intense, close-knit, bang the guy/girl next to ya racing…and I love it!

I did note that MTGP 3 & 4 have open portions in the barrier that enclose the track. Maybe this was a failed attempt to modify the models to his liking…I’m not sure, but in any event they’re the kind of visual flaws that are hard to miss, and should have been corrected.

With that said, Cr@$h’s MTGP tracks earned a collective 6.75 out of 10 possible points on the Copey Rating system. The series definitely includes a few good individual tracks (4, 5, & 6 were my picks), however, a potentially overall positive impression was somewhat muffled by the glaring visual blemishes on tracks 3 & 4, the over usage of water on tracks 2 & 3, an unfinished track that was uploaded as a final product (MTGP 8), and one or two rather bland layouts. As with his former tracks, I sincerely feel the “MTGP” series could’ve benefited from the input of others (i.e. beta testers), but he continually chooses to go it alone where trackmaking is concerned, which of course, is his choice. Still, I sincerely hope he has a change of heart in the near future and solicits the help of testers because I for one feel he shows promise.

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_COPE (24-02-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:39 am 
Glow Ball

> 3 & 4 have open portions in the barrier

That happens when the bottom of a ground box extends below the water line. The fix is to raise the bottom of the ground box, or lower the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:53 am 
Trackologist

Ah ok - makes sense. See, if these tracks were posted in The Beta Room those blemishes could have been fixed rather easily...and it would've saved me some typing in that review! Image Help me out here, Cr@$h lol. Image

Thanks for the info, Phin!