MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

Post subject: Muskoka Road
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm 

Hey this one is cool stuff. Plenty of room for multi racers and definately a racers track, fast and smooth. Says the author is Phin and Alpine, which explains the "Alpines Crazy" feel to it?

After runnin it a few times, I kept realizing that my first lap was always the fastest lap. I finally noticed that the starting line is forward of the finish line, LOL, nice little touch there.

Not a lot of graphics on this, not that I noticed anyway...you know, the trees, buildings, cars, etc... which, to be perfectly honest, does not bother me in the slightest. I tend to want to race a track rather than look at it, I'll let the REAL pro's critique the eye candy and make up of the track, and this one is very raceable! One thing though, loved the checkered flag checkpoints on the road surface, pretty neat guys.

Hey, this one's a winner, I dig....really dig it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 12:47 pm 
Trackologist

Certain names or name combinations evoke a sense of expectation. I could easily go off on a tangent here and make loose analogies to my love for jazz or even draw semi-lucid comparisons to my passion for tennis…all the while giving the impression of staying within the confines of the topic. I’ve decided to remain focused for this one, however. Besides, I have a ton of reviews to do, so there’s plenty of opportunity for me to wander off the subject lol.

As for names, ZooN and Spider awed us with “ZS Rally”, World & TonkZ pooled their efforts/talents on “Mudd & Country”, Fila and HotShoe collaborated on “SLO Worlds” (which is outstanding, by the way), OLD_NickatNite hooked up with Team Death to produce “OLD/TeamDeath", which lacks imagination in the name department, but more than makes up for it with its fun layout. Now there’s Alpine & Phineus, whose reputations run deep where MTM 2 is concerned, however, if you have absolutely no idea who they are…well, that’s not necessarily a bad thing lol. Keep your eyes open though because they pop into the Zone from time to time to shoot the breeze with whoever’s around …oh, and give away autographed photos of themselves. There’s a (small) $35.00 charge for the pic, but I’m told a portion of it goes to a local charity lol.

After running “Muskoka Road” for the first time your impression might very well be, “Great track! So like…when will it be done?” lol. It looks as though it’s in its beta stages still, but I assure you, what you see…rather, what you “don’t” see is what you get. It’s what I call a “pure racer’s track; no frills, no gimmicks, no high-priced models or fancy animated, whiz-bang stuff – it’s all about the track, and nothing more. And do take note of the checkpoint markers; they are painted into the road texture in the form of a checkered start/finish line marker, which I thought was pretty slick. You can trip them from outside the limits of the visual marker, but don’t get too loose with it or you’ll be doubling back to make another pass thru lol.

For you old timers out there, if this track looks somewhat familiar it’s because “Muskoka Road” was borne from discussions related to retexturing “Alpine’s Crazy”, and the textures are based on an MTM 1 track. Again, it’s model-free (save for the road support structures), which gives it the feel of being an old track. Still, it has a contemporary air about it with its clean, polished look, and precision workmanship. You didn’t find this level of quality in tracks made back in 98, 99, and so on.

Wrapping things up, “Muskoka Road” garnered a well deserved “10” out of 10 possible points on the Copey Rating scale. There’s absolutely nothing to dislike about this track. Yep, it’s extremely basic and simplistic from a visual point of view, but you have to keep in mind the intent was to maximize characteristics that make racing fun and exciting. It packs enough speed to satisfy the most demanding MPH junkie out there. It gives you a good sampling of airtime & jumps, sometimes in multiple combinations, and the lanes are such that passing opportunities are plentiful. The fact that it’s virtually model free is actually a plus in that it easily accommodates lots of racers without inducing excess lag. I’d say it’s a sure bet you’ll see this one in a tourney soon, and it’s definitely headed for the SLO APL come July when we do our update.

Take it from me – if you haven’t tried “Muskoka Road”…cancel your plans with the wife, blow off work for the day, forego that fishing trip with the fellas, and take a few spins on this track! I already know what you’ll say afterwards: “Gee COPE, you were right! Course, I got fired from my job, I’m sleeping on the couch, and my friends have banned me from any future group outings…but you were definitely on the money about this track!”

Great work, Phin & Alpine! About the only thing left to say is…we want more tracks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 12:58 am 

So that's the new Short review format huh?
Gessh still not much left to say for others lol

I liked that track very much, Nice wide layout give you more than enough room to maneuver even if you're running with a large group.

May not be a big hit for the eyes but i sure dig the layout..

Very well done guys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 1:31 am 
easy company

excuse me while I whip this out....

This my freinds, when I first laid eyes on it, was one of the most intricately polished tracks I had ever seen... purely from a terrain standpoint of course, since there are no models to speak of... but it overflows with the essence of what makes a track great imo, the attention to terrain transitions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 2:59 am 
easy company

Quote:
which explains the "Alpines Crazy" feel to it?

....and what a work of art it was-is. if a picture was ever worth a thousand words, that one is

Muskoka is every bit as good if not even better [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:16 pm 

I really like this track. I would like to use the textures, so Alpine & Phineus would that be OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:24 pm 
Glow Ball

Yea, go ahead. And if I remember correctly, there's a matching set in one of the corners, have a look around in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:05 pm 
thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:24 pm 
Trackologist

Hey Mike - good to see ya, bud. Thought u had disappeared on us again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:02 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Okay, I KNOW that this track can be D/L'd, but where can I get this one?

Or is that Alpine's Crazy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:29 pm 
Trackologist

You could have got it here by typing in "Muskoka" at the top in the search field. But hey, I'll make it easy for ya: http://mtm2.com/~tracks/details.cgi?thistrack=771 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:53 pm 

Is there a movie with this name or my dream was heavily influenced by this track?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:19 am 
Glow Ball

I don't know, what was it about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:53 am 

Phineus wrote:
I don't know, what was it about?

I don't remember very much except for the fact that i was obsessed to watch a movie called "Muskoka Road".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:56 am 
Glow Ball

I meant what was the <i>movie</i> about. I don't really want to know what <i>your</i> dreams are about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:25 am 
Trackologist

LMAO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:33 pm 

Only thing i remember is wanting to watch the movie, i don't know what the movie was about at all... all i remember is a garage scene that looked similar to "Highlander" garage scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:39 pm 
Glow Ball

Highlander ? Naw man, you must've been dreamin'. I haven't even seen that film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:27 pm 

Phineus wrote:
Highlander ? Naw man, you must've been dreamin'. I haven't even seen that film.

I must have been dreamin eh? [:P] [bump] [nyuk]
You did understand that i was talking about a movie in my dream that was called Muskoka Road... right?