MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

Post subject: photoshop help
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:18 am 

could someone tell me how to use my photoshop 8.0 to do my tracks. how do i get the track to photoshop then back when i get done with my track. thanks levi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:39 am 

It's unclear to me what you're asking for, but there are only two track elements that can be handled in a paint program: the terrain textures (common) and the terrain itself (rare).

Creating your own terrain textures and slicing them up into tiles can involve a lot of planning, multiple steps, and there are several different ways to go about it all. It's basically a one way process - you create a large composite image in a paint program, you slice it into 64x64 tiles, then you assemble the tiles on the terrain in Traxx.

As for the terrain itself, it's best to use Traxx to carve it but you can create or edit it in a paint program since it's actually a 256x256 grayscale (8-bit / 256 color) image, where white is the highest altitude (palette value 255), black the lowest altitude (palette value 0), with 254 shades of gray in between. If you're in terrain edit mode in Traxx you can copy and paste the terrain as a bitmap (to and from your paint program), the option is available in the Traxx edit menu or with a right-click.

A great old resource: http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/traxx/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 am 

Its very unclear, but do you mean take a screenshot of the track so that you can put it at the races screen?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:34 pm 

what i meant was i read others talk about they made certain things in photoshop for the track making. i have photoshop 8.0 which is the best version i have but if thats all they do i can do it in traxx. thanks levi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:08 pm 
Glow Ball

First, I want to ask: have you done traxx school?

http://cownap.com/~traxx/traxxsch.html

That is by far the best place to begin so you see exactly what is involved in making a track. If you have not done traxx school then I highly recommend that you do it before you continue with anything else.

Secondly, you can make textures/graphics in any paint program, not just photoshop. If you go to the mtmg, then on the menu: 'mtmg > textures' you will find several help pages about making custom textures - in photoshop as well as in paint shop pro (there is also information on the truck making menu under 'painting').

But before making custom textures, I think it would be more productive to make something using textures that are already made. Once you learn the ropes a little better, then you can jump in to the full customizing thing.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:12 pm 

first i am useing traxx. i have already made 12 or 13 tracks that are pretty good some have better maps than others because that was the hardest thing i did. i was just thinking of a better way to make the roads blend better with the land. so basically is there a way to make the squares blend together so you dont see the outline of the squares and it looks like one uniform surface without the squares. thanks levi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:40 pm 
Glow Ball

This is the best we've come up with so far

http://cownap.com/~mtmg/templates/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:12 pm 

thanks phineus thats what im talking about. once i figure out what there talking about in the tutorial and follow the steps they show i will be in business. thanks levi