FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:57 pm

Post subject: How to texture?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:43 pm 

test test test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:49 pm 

Hey. I'm a TOTAL newbie at doing anything for MTM2. But i am pretty good at doing 3D in Cinema 4D, and using Photoshop. So i just modded the Bigfoot with some basic vents and a spoiler, just for fun. But when i try to put the original texture on it in Binedit (i know it won't work) then it just commes up on the truck like a 1000 times... So there is 1000 small texture on the truck. How do i map the truck, so the texture know where to be, and so i can make my own textures and stuff?

There we go :) Now it works... So sorry for the stupid post. But now i can post a URL, so i'm gonna do it! :) You can see a screenshot of what is going on here: Image

So can anyone please tell me how to texture in BinEdit, the newest version. Or give me a link to a tutorial...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:44 am 

Hey Esser, welcome to MTM2.

Stealing links from another post, these should get you started:
Phineus wrote:
Mapping in the old binedit (the page is good because it takes you through the basics)
http://cownap.com/~mtmg/binedit/mapping.html

Notes on face groups (very handy for what you're doing)
http://cownap.com/~mtmg/binedit/maptip02.html

BinEdit v2 help pages (look down on the menu to where you see the items for the BinMapper). Binedit v2 has improved face groups too.
http://binedit.com/help/

The short answer for your case is that the texture mapping on the model has been normalised. I'm guessing that you edited it in Cinema 4D and exported as a Wavefront (OBJ) file to import back into BinEdit. The OBJ doesn't store any texture-mapping information, so BinEdit just applies the texture to each face as a default. If you follow the steps of the mapping tutorial above (it should be easier than as written since BinEdit 2 is greatly improved in this area) you can remap the textures, however you'll be pretty busy remapping the entire truck body. An easier way might be to discard the parts of your model that you haven't change (such as the Bigfoot body) and 'pasting' your new parts onto the original Bigfoot (which has its original texture mapping):
  1. Delete the faces of the original model (the truck body).
    • Press Spacebar to cycle through the faces.
    • When you come to a face you want to remove, press Ctrl+Del.
  2. In the end you should end up with just your spoiler (and perhaps some other bits if there is anything else you added or changed on the original model). Save it as a BIN model.
  3. Open BIGFOOT.BIN and Repeat steps 1 & 2 to remove the corresponding faces that you left behind with your spoiler model (if any).
  4. Go to Insert -> Model and open your spoiler.bin. Tadaa! You spoiler should now be inserted onto the Bigfoot model. Now you only have to map your new spoiler, not the whole truck body.

Note 1: You will probably have to rescale your spoiler model to make it fit, as the imported model will be a different size. Easiest way to do this would be before deleting anything, open the Bigfoot.bin and go to Model -> Resize and note the dimensions. Copy a common dimension (like the width or height), go back to your edited model and resize it to that dimension. They should then be a perfect fit when you do the insert step. Alternatively, if you have the forethought to save a vertex group of the spoiler (which I won't go into here), you can resize and move the spoiler after it has been inserted.
Note 2: After deleting faces you will have a lot of unconnected vertices. Go to Vertex -> Delete All Unused to clean them up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:52 am 

Thank you very much! :D But Binedit has to be the worlds worst 3D program! [:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:33 pm 
Glow Ball

Esser wrote:
But Binedit has to be the worlds worst 3D program!

I hope you don't mind if I disagree. How many other 3D programs have you used extensively? When you have some experience under your belt, I think you'll find Binedit remarkably easy to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:39 am 

Well i use Cinema 4D pretty much everyday, and i sometimes make money on selling my models. So i've user Cinema 4D A LOT! I've used Zmodeller a bit, but i think that sucks too [:P]