MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

Post subject: Groundbox problem
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:40 pm 

I'm working on some ideas for a new track. It includes a lot of groundboxes in the same area and it gives problems. The boxes don't look good in game. You can look underneath them, the wall doesn't seem to stand on the ground. I thought that by lowering them (so they are inserted in the ground) the problem would be solved but it looks even worse :? At first they stood even (ground 80, bottom box 80).

Am I using to much in one area? Or is it because I use different textures on them or different heights...

Or maybe it's just my laptop that can't handle it [umm]

Post subject: Re: Groundbox problem
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:44 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Roxxy wrote:
I'm working on some ideas for a new track. It includes a lot of groundboxes in the same area and it gives problems. The boxes don't look good in game. You can look underneath them, the wall doesn't seem to stand on the ground.

groundboxes must be over the water limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:51 pm 
Glow Ball

Yes, the problem you describe happens when the bottom of the ground box goes beneath the level of the water. Whatever the water level is, raise the bottom of the box to the same level and it "should" be okay.

For what it's worth, when there are too many boxes in a small area you get the "have mark increase box count" error. You'll want to be on the look out for that. I don't know the exact number that trips it, but when you do, then it's time to either take a few out, spread them out, or replace them with models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:59 am 

oh its water that causes that, i didn't know, i always just placed ground boxes on the ground, level, or just slightly sunken, if they are going on a slope.

good too know.

BTW has someone fixed traxx yet? for that model positioning issue that doesnt let you input the exact height?
And Can i request the ability to input the exact position of the models aswell (Basically the top lebels to be enabled as editable so we can enter coordinates ourselves.) These two things have kept me from track making now for awhile, i want to make a floating track, but its difficult when u gotta visually guess where every model is ending. I liked being able to set the model height to be exactly the ground boxes height, + 0.1, causing them to be virtually level, but without the clipping effect and the groudn box invisible wall effect (also useful to use to defeat the invis wall effect with invis model platforms.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:36 am 
Glow Ball

> has traxx been updated yet?

Not yet.

> request the ability to input the exact position of the models

I think it's on the todo list.

> I liked being able to set the model height to be exactly the ground boxes height

You can still do that. Set the ground level equal to the ground boxes. Insert your model. Restore the origninal ground level using undo. Viola.

> the clipping effect

huh?

> the groudn box invisible wall effect (also useful to use to defeat the invis wall effect with invis model platforms.

Huh? huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:57 am 

clipping effect, if the surface of the model is the exact same as the surface of the ground box, then the two will be inside eachother perfectly, depending on what angle you view this, pices of the model and ground box will merge together, creating a flashing flickering clipping effect, fixable if you make the model just slight away from the groundboxes face.

And the invis wall thin, I refer to where if you try to, say go up a ramp and climb onto ground boxes, it will stop you dead, as if you have hit a wall, because of the ridge of the box, fixable if you put in invisible model along the ground over the lip of the box. also for those times, like in Sidewinder, where you land on a ground box and it stops you cold, using an invisible model at the height of the ground box + 0.1 will fix that if used on the landing spot.

>You can still do that. Set the ground level equal to the ground boxes. Insert your model. Restore the origninal ground level using undo. Viola.

Interesting idea...., but wont the model move back down if you ever select it? or try to move it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:48 pm 
Glow Ball

> clipping effect

Understood. I'm not sure I've seen it but it wouldn't surprise me.

> the invis wall thing

Okay. I never heard it described like that but that's a very common one.

For what it might be worth traxx v1.5 will let you use those little arrow up/down buttons for very precise movement of the model's altitude. Using the keyboard for horizontal placement is pretty good too, much better than using the mouse.

> wont the model move back down if you ever select it? or try to move it?

Probably. But once you have it in place, leave it alone :-p

PS. If you want all models (with the same name) to be the same height, you can always walk through the sit file and adjust them manually. I've done this more than once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:33 pm 

Phineus wrote:
Yes, the problem you describe happens when the bottom of the ground box goes beneath the level of the water. Whatever the water level is, raise the bottom of the box to the same level and it "should" be okay.

Problem solved, Thx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 pm 

Phineus wrote:
> clipping effect

Understood. I'm not sure I've seen it but it wouldn't surprise me.

> the invis wall thing

Okay. I never heard it described like that but that's a very common one.

For what it might be worth traxx v1.5 will let you use those little arrow up/down buttons for very precise movement of the model's altitude. Using the keyboard for horizontal placement is pretty good too, much better than using the mouse.

> wont the model move back down if you ever select it? or try to move it?

Probably. But once you have it in place, leave it alone :-p

PS. If you want all models (with the same name) to be the same height, you can always walk through the sit file and adjust them manually. I've done this more than once.

>Invisible wall effect

It's on the Torture pit, when you unlock it in Sidewinder Canyon. It also has the hall of mirrors effect, just because of the backdrop/arena style/invisible wall.