MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Post subject: Island Hopping by SIG
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 4:15 am 

Hi. This is my latest track - island hopping.
DOWNLOAD IT COZ ITS FUN!!!
It has 2 secret passages to weird places.
Clue: they are both between 2 identical objects and have long paths leading to them.
note - click mouse for underwater view.

------------------
Yours Mentally
SIG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 10:29 pm 

Why is no-one writing comments? I'm lonely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 11:07 pm 
Next time no one is posting comments, there's probably a reason.

I don't download anywhere near as many tracks as some others here do, but of the one I have seen (which is still quite a lot) this is one of the worst. Not the worst, but close.

The course is pretty boring. On your next track, remember that a square doesn't really keep people's interest for too long.

Why did you set almost the entire track to mud? I makes it hard to race.

Why did you set a weight to your trees so that they move when you hit them?

Your maze hidden area looks pretty terrible, at least on my machine. The altitude is set so close to the water level that the water appears to flicker on and off. And your ground boxes have the mirror effect to them, every single one.

For a 1.5 Meg file, this one is certainly not worth the download time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 11:55 pm 
theres already an island hopping track for mtm, it was made by gizmo. its for mtm 1. make sure you dont use another track name next time.. could get ppl confused Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 4:45 am 

Ouch Andy!
Give the guy some encouragement to do better huh?

>>>The course is pretty boring. On your next track, remember that a square doesn't really keep people's interest for too long.

So what's a good alternative? Try a couple of ovals or a figure 8.. or better still, randomise the terrain, if you are using Traxx, and try to lay your track out to match the terrain.

>>>Why did you set almost the entire track to mud? I makes it hard to race.

Maybe SIG don't know how to set textures yet... in Traxx you can give each texture a property, i.e. set grass to er, GRASS! Image
Have a look at the Traxx help section on this page and also go here http://members.xoom.com/GuitarBill.1/traxxsch.html

>>Why did you set a weight to your trees so that they move when you hit them?

That can be a fun effect if applied correctly. I have an unreleased track using the Farm Road telegraph poles checkpoints.. with weight and mass. It works quite nicely, because the more circuits you take, the less checkpoint markers you have (after being knocked over) so you have to remember the course! Image

>>Your maze hidden area looks pretty terrible, at least on my machine. The altitude is set so close to the water level that the water appears to flicker on and off. And your ground boxes have the mirror effect to them, every single one.

It takes a little practise to get these particular problems right. Experimentation is the only answer here. Water/ground level will appear to flicker on and off if they are set too close together. Ground boxes should be set to at least the same level as the terrain (I usually set them a foot below). This is a "problem" that has been discussed in previous posts, Winterkill offers some sound technical advice, look 'em up.

>>For a 1.5 Meg file, this one is certainly not worth the download time.

Maybe true Andy (I haven't downloaded this track yet) but we all have to start somewhere huh?

Keep plugging away SIG, and post your next track on KC's beta page.

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 20-05-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 8:07 am 

I set it to mud coz it is mud!

[This message has been edited by SIG (edited 28-05-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 10:32 am 
Hey sorry SIG.

I didn't mean to be cruel.

Let me to expand as well.

The more variation you can insert into a course, the better it will appear. Next time try a course that winds all over the place. Lots of tracks will give you ideas how to do this, try Alpine's Certifiably Crazy.

I'm sure you're already aware of how to set texture types in Traxx. Remember that different types have different qualities. Mud makes it hard to steer and you slide a lot. It's okay in small doses or in some of track areas, but the way you have it, you and especially the comp. trucks are all over the place.

Emcee's idea about telephone poles is interesting, but for example the trees look sort of odd when they slide across the terrain.

Off track areas are always a treat, as far as I'm concerned. But they have to be done well. Your hidden areas are too hard to find. I raced the track the first time looking for them, and couldn't find them. I had to go look at the track in Traxx to figure out where they were. And when I went back to race the track again, you have to drive through way too much water to get to them.

I don't want to sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but I did a track that had tons of hidden areas. Look at KC's under my name for a track called Peak Performance.

Keep plugging at the tracks, you never know when you'll end up creating a classic.

Other tracks to take a look at for inspiration:
Derailed by OP
Zoon Subway and Zoon Kitchen (Kitchen is, in my opinion, THE all time greatest MTM2 track)

Keep on Monster Truckin'
Image to you-know-who

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 5:21 pm 

Andy... I have to say it was very gracious of you to send some positive response to SIG. It takes a big man to do that, and a sense of maturity, well done guy.
WK good, solid, sound technical advice (as usual) Image
SIG make the most of it! Looking forward to your next track.
I know what it's like to have a project on yer drive for months - and you can't wait to make it "public", but bear with it.... beta testing is a good thing, especially around here! You'll get good advice and encouragement. From WK's post it looks like you have a pretty good knowledge of texture making and truck making (*stuff*, I wish I could make trucks, heehee!).
Anyway... I have an idea, I have several tracks that I have started - how would you feel about finishing one off? The terrain and groundwork is all laid out, just needs bins and tweaking (I'll add checkpoints etc). If you're interested send me your email address and we can discuss it further.
Check on my profile to get my email.

edit>>> Oops, just noticed that the profile don't include my email. It's emcee4@excite.com

Laters

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 22-05-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 3:02 am 

I think you should modify this track and make Island Hopping V 2 or something, so its better. Its sounds like it could be fun. Refine it into something new.

------------------
-Wipeout