Faces: 2047/1156/3203
Txtrs: 14/4/18
Animated textures: No
Takes damage: No
Allow reflections: Yes
Allow truck reflections: No
Readme: Yes, with credits
Download: 416k

jetmonkeyj has grown quite a reputation over the past year making highly detailed replicas of the trucks on the USHRA Monster Jam circuit. He has also made a couple of customs and two late 90s trucks (Bulldozer '98 and Monster Patrol '97

His latest entry is a superb replica of the newest "The Patriot" truck owned by Dan Radoni. I have only seen a picture of the back end of this truck, but it still shows how close this is to the real thing.
The paintjob is excellent, I hear jetmonkeyj does all his painting in Microsoft paint. When you first hear this it doesn't seem believable because of how "Paint" doesn't contain many tools that are usually vital for creating top notch paintjobs. I take JerOutlaw's word for it though. While the logos look like they have been taken from a picture of the real truck (if jetmonkeyj did everything himself please excuse me) he has clearly taken care to make sure everything looks fine from any angle. Everything seems spot on, the colors are attractive and didn't change on the tracks I tried the truck on (Crazy '98 and Atlanta 2009 fs1). The chassis, shocks and wheels look great too, plus the sponsor logos under the body are present for extra detail.

The truck handles well for drags and freestyles, but does lean a lot when it turns, so I advise against using it on circuits and rallies if you a using the keyboard or mouse to drive with.
It doesn't take damage however, I rolled the truck over a few times and crashed into stacks of cars and the body didn't crumple. There is only one scrape point visible.
Not good for realism, but of course this usually doesn't matter to most players.
Due to the angle of the shocks on the body's BIN file, the tops of the suspension on the axle sticks through the bottom of the shocks.
Another small flaw is the lights don't show, I have looked at the truck from different angles and they cannot be seen.

Moving off the bad sides now, the truck is well put together; the driveshaft and axle bars are perfectly aligned with the frame. Plus the angle of the body is accurate.

Overall this is a superb job from one of the best replica makers around at the moment, it will please Monster Jam, replica and high quality truck fans. The truck drives very nicely on circuits and rallies aslong as you know to powerslide properly, but it is still best for drags and freestyles. Well worth the download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:43 pm 

yes Jet uses paint, some of the minor errors are from being away from the game due to schooling. BTW the front bumper was skipped because it no longer is used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:01 pm 

Wow, thank you very much Roadknight for the nice review. :) Yes, it is true the bulk of my work is done in ms paint. It's how I've always draw on the computer so I feel comfortable with it. It can be difficult at times but generally speaking if you know what your doing it really has all you need. At lest for me. haha

I'll note the things you pointed out and I'll try and fix them for any upcoming releases. Sean is right though, this project might have suffered a bit from a large school work load, but overall I'm happy with how it came out. I did ask Dan about the front bumper however and he said he takes it off in competition because he can see better without it, thus why it is left off in my replica.

Again, thanks for the review. It's always nice to get some constructive criticism.

Another pic of the truck I love. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:59 pm 

Oh, so HE'S the one that uses Paint. I thought it was someone else.

Superb job. The only thing I have ever painted in Paint was lines and fillings. It's great that you know how to do such good paint jobs in Paint. Hehe, I can barely use PSP7 :P. That's why I suck.

Off my stuff and back onto yours. I love the paint jobs that you do on your trucks; one being the fact that you can see the hair on your Bulldozer '98 truck. Even though they can have some flaws, you're one of the top 5 painters in my book; heck, maybe even top 3.

This is one of my favorites from you (Even though I tweaked the handling on mine. Hehe).

Your truck pictures are just as amazing as your trucks Jordan. I don't know how you get such amazing backgrounds without using ones already made!