MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

Post subject: Help with animated models
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 1:10 am 

Bit of a BinEdit newbie I am... Anyway, I have a sperical model (like my Snowball) and I want to make it spin (not too fast, though). How do I do this? Do I simply save it as, lets say, sphere.bin, then rotate it a few degrees and save that as shpere1.bin, rotate a few degrees, save as sphere2.bin and so on, or is it more complicated? (probably is)

------------------
-Wipeout

[This message has been edited by AIR_Wipeout (edited 30-06-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 1:58 am 

Winterkill told me how to do that. You have all the right ideas, except instead of a "few" degrees, change it to 90 for each model. It works. Then set the speed with Bin Animator. If its too fast, you can list the same model like 3-4 times in the sequence so it appears slower in the animation.
FE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 8:33 am 

MTM's game engine doesn't just show the different models, it actually determines the distance between vertices in each frame (which is why the models must all be the same), and moves it one step towards the destination. If you replicate frames, this creates an unpleasantly jerky animation. The stock animated oil pumps are only 4 frames per second, but with the morphing, they're perfectly smooth. Therefore, it's best to have your models all have the same step, and not repeat unless it's supposed to go backwards. Good luck with your project, and if you need more help, drop me a line here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2000 3:24 pm 

Wipeout and FE, FE is right about four frames 90 degrees different, but you don't want to insert extra bins to make it go slower, for that you simply lower the framerate to fractions of a second (be sure to use OP's Bin Animator for errorless animated control bins). If you have four frames and want the model to rotate once per second then give a value of .25, or to get one rotation every two seconds then give a framerate of .125

Angus, right on.. BUT repeated frames do NOT result in jerky motion, I have used them over an over again with great success. They are used to pause an animation. My MTMG billboard uses this method, else it would be always moving and difficult to read. Image

Here is the earlier discussion:
http://mtm2.com/~forum/pages/Forum11/HTML/000001.html