MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next   
 Post subject: Re: MTM2 Render Distance Patch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:57 pm 

Fila wrote:
Found another track it's not compatible with. Spring Valley.

The annoying thing is that it simply gives an AV and doesn't mention any specific errors for you to reverse engineer.
Maybe one day I'll have a lot of free time to look into this.

Is it at a specific spot in the track? Maybe you could modify the track to find the culprit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:04 pm 

It is a specific point in the track yep.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:36 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Debugging idea: Does the render distance patch hard-code a new distance or is it determined by monster.ini? Try turning one or both way down and running the track again. If it still crashes, you will still be most likely much closer to the problem object on the track, which ought to make it a lot easier to pinpoint what's crashing it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:13 am 

Hi Guys, been lurking for some time ... One minor problem I noticed running Deadmans Gulch with all trucks enabled, is the tyre marks left on the ground start appearing some way behind the trucks. So if you are following the pack, the tyre marks always seem to be trying to catch up with the trucks, they don't start under the wheels but some way behind?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:32 pm 

Mat-Allum wrote:
Debugging idea: Does the render distance patch hard-code a new distance or is it determined by monster.ini? Try turning one or both way down and running the track again. If it still crashes, you will still be most likely much closer to the problem object on the track, which ought to make it a lot easier to pinpoint what's crashing it.

I'll look into that when I'll get a chance. Going through another busy period right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:37 pm 

Disposable wrote:
Hi Guys, been lurking for some time ... One minor problem I noticed running Deadmans Gulch with all trucks enabled, is the tyre marks left on the ground start appearing some way behind the trucks. So if you are following the pack, the tyre marks always seem to be trying to catch up with the trucks, they don't start under the wheels but some way behind?

Since I rarely play with AI trucks I never noticed. Funny bug though :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:43 pm 

-Edit
Nevermind, I wasn't running the latest patch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:39 pm 

Gave a few more test tries, including cloning the tracks and modifying them. The error seems to be due to too many models rendered at once. It's hard to know whether it's the number of vertices, or the number of actual objects as the game doesn't give a reason when it crashes. Just gives an AV with no details (hence it's hard to try and fix it because there are several ambiguous AV crashes with no comments related to different things).

Also, I drove from the other way of the track and every time the crashes simply happen in the exact same spot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:05 am 
MTM2 Fanatic

I suspect swapping out the models for simple cubes would answer that question.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:06 am 

I'll do that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 pm 

I'd love to do this for MTM 1 as well, where the view distance is even more ridiculous. I grew up with MTM 1 but you can barely see the corners coming up in front of you.

I downloaded IDA and had a look around Moster.exe, and I managed to find some stuff about the view window width/height, and the GUI, but nothing about the render distance. I'm a newbie at disassembling like this though so I was really just searching blindly for things like "view", "distance", "frustum" etc.

Has anyone ever looked into it?

It looks to me like the default view distance is about 8 tiles in front of you - so 16 tiles total maybe?

I don't know if they did this in MTM 2, but in MTM 1 every map is the same standard size, so smaller circuits have a massive amount of unused space. Some of the tracks have cool bonus areas if you go exploring. It'd be extra nice to be able to see those areas before you're right on top of them! The Highlands map has a hidden castle that you can sit in the middle of and not even see the walls!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 pm 

Don't think anyone looked into MTM1.

In the meantime we moved on from using IDA to poke around monster.exe and we're using the source code of MTM2 to make changes, which makes it alot easier.

And yes, the maps have a standard size for MTM2 as well. Actually MTM1 tracks are compatible with MTM2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:09 pm 

I don't really see much point in upgrading MTM1 unless you really want official drag racing, and view distance doesn't really help with that.
Just load the MTM1 tracks into MTM2 and call it a day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 pm 

I didn't even realise you could play MTM 1 tracks in MTM 2 as I've only ever owned the first one. I'm totally going to go find a copy now, thanks!

Edit: OK so I dug up a copy of MTM2, copied the pods over, installed the community patch. What a difference!

On Yucatan Adventure you can see the whole volcano island from the main island. How cool is that!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:58 pm 

The only thing MTM2 doesn't do is the drags. I hope to eventually implement that in MTM2 but it will take a while as I haven't had time to look over the gamecode since early December.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:07 pm 

One thing I would like to eventually do to the MTM 1 tracks is upgrade them with at least seamless textures and maybe full-on texture upgrades. It's a big project, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:53 pm 

Honestly I almost never played the drag races anyway. They were the most boring part of the game.

I thought it was interesting that MTM2 uses sprites for some things where MTM1 used full 3D. Compare the trees in A Crazy 8 to the trees in Crazy 98 for instance.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 pm 

^Stylistic difference. I always liked MTM1's chunky, colorful look better than MTM2. The sprite trees in MTM2 give a more realistic look to fit in with the scenery, without adding tons of vertices to the scene.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 am 

Cale wrote:
One thing I would like to eventually do to the MTM 1 tracks is upgrade them with at least seamless textures and maybe full-on texture upgrades. It's a big project, though.

Could probably cheat and just do the track and common short cuts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:24 pm 

Really, there's not a ton of textures to those old tracks. It can be done, it's just tedious more than difficult.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next