MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Post subject: I couldn't run BINedit v1.0+ on Win95...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:06 pm 

Since BINedit presently seems to have an allergic reaction with my Windows XP computer, I haven't been able to do any editing till I got my old comp sorted out (reformat and reinstall).

Today I finally got around to installing the current version (v1.03) of BINedit - only to find it wouldn't run. When I tried to execute the program, it threw up two error messages: that "The BINEDIT.EXE file is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL:6883", and "A device attached to the system is not functioning". This confounded me because I was sure BINedit had worked on this comp before; plus the Mfc42.dll file did definitely exist on my Win95 system - I even copied it into BINedit's directory - yet it was making like it didn't exist.

So I started working backwards through the versions of BINedit to find one that worked. v1.02 had the same problems, and the v1.01 I had was, I believe, a debug version that needed a bunch of additional dlls to run, so it wouldn't go either. The only one that worked was OP's original v0.920.

I've seen these errors before, though, and know what causes them - they result from trying to run a program that utilises features of later versions of Windows, trying to run on a version of Windows that doesn't provide them (eg Internet Explorer 6.0 being unsupported on Win95). Even though the files referenced (Mfc42.dll, for example...) might exist, they're not up to date enough to support what the program wants to do. But, I'd previously used BINedit v1.0 and above on this comp without problems - I'm guessing it might be that I've missed an update since reinstalling Windows 95, or maybe there's some other program I installed that updated it for me.

In the end I was able to copy Mfc42.dll from a later version of Windows (namely my WinXP machine) into BINedit's directory, and that enabled me to run all versions up to the latest v1.04 beta... but it was curious I had a problem where before there was none. Anyway, I'm just posting this in case someone else comes up with the same problem (um... does anyone else beside me actually use Win95 any more?), and also to alert the current BINedit development team to please be careful with the feature creep...

------------------
Please use the brake provided and not the vehicle in front of you.
- V8 Challenge online racing guidelines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:51 am 

well, heres my answers. no i dont run win95. im running ME(fixed ver. lol). at one time i did have XP installed but the wife didnt like it.i also had problems from time to time with binedit crapping out like that .
Binedit seems to be picky with XP and which machine it wants to work on. Some ppl have no problems and others just cant get it to work, plain and simple. still dont understand Y or what. but its still na ongoing problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:27 am 

Yeah, it's dern annoying ain't it. I thought that was what we were employing Rich to fix... Image

Oh, I should point out that the Mfc42.dll supplied in the support files section of the MTMG was insufficient in fixing this. We might want to update that file with one from a newer version of Windows.

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:15 am 
Glow Ball

>> I should point out that the Mfc42.dll supplied in the support files section of the MTMG was ...

That is the mfc42.dll for traxx. If you want one for this problem, I'll zip up my system version here and you can try it out. If it works, I've no objection to making it available as well.

edit. Try this.

Name: MFC42.DLL
Version: 6.0.8665.0
Date: 2001-08-18

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (11-12-2002)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:33 pm 

That's exactly the same version that I have here on my comp, and which I copied onto my Win95 machine. The only difference is yours is dated 18/8/2001 7AM, whereas mine is 18/8/2001 11PM Image

So ya, it works, in this case at least.

Edit: On the note about BINedit ceasing to work on my WinXP comp. I've just noticed that something seems to have changed about my display driver (in short, I had a little icon in the system tray for quickly changing antialiasing modes and so forth, and it's not there any more... nor can I find the GeForce4 properties pages in my Display Properties any more...), how long it's been like this I don't know, but I'm suspecting the SP1 update has something to do with it... I see LeadTek now have a new version of their graphics driver, or nVidia have their Detonator drivers, so I'll try updating (just as soon as I have time for a 20MB download) and see if this solves anything...

------------------

<font size=1>Edited by Drive2Survive (11-12-2002)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:03 pm 

Ok, I just learnt a few interesting things...

- As I said, I didn't have time to download the new video driver; but I still had the installer for the previously/currently-installed driver. I figured there'd be no harm in reinstalling it and seeing whether I'd get my display properties pages and QuickTweak utilities back...

- I executed the installer; since this was the same version as the currently installed driver, it sought to uninstall it. Ok, I thought, and let it do its thing... immediately after, Windows threw up a message box saying something to the effect of...
System files needed by Windows have been replaced by unrecognised versions. Windows must restore these files to maintain system stability.
'Nuts to that', I thought, and clicked cancel...

- After restarting, I ran the installer a second time to reinstall the driver. Again, Windows complained with the same message box (how dare you tamper with my system files?!). Again, I thought 'Nuts to that'...

- Restart again. Now, check the Display Properties.
Oh look, my GeForce properties pages are back there again Image
Oh look, my QuickTweak utility is back in the system tray again Image
I tried running BINedit. Oh look, it comes up properly again - no more invisible window Image
Earlier that day I'd installed Maya 4.5 Personal Learning Edition, which I'd picked up at the Australian Games Developer Conference last weekend. Unfortunately, the darn thing crashed on startup whenever I tried to run it. Now, after reinstalling the video driver, I tried running it again, and blow me if it wasn't working now too! Image

What have I learned? It looks like Windows XP Service Pack 1 does a little system refurbishing behind the scenes. Microsoft have a lot to answer for...

------------------