MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 am

Post subject: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.27 - UPDATED AGAIN!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:16 pm 

Small difference between 0.25 and 0.27

Multiplayer should be fixed now.
Monster.exe should work in Windows XP now as well.

*******WARNING! PLEASE READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING********

This is provided solely for testing and finding out bugs. Without further ado, please read below to find out what is expected to work and what is expected NOT to work (the list is pretty big).

What Works:

- Bumped up maximum render distance from 20 to 50 units. (same as render patch. FINALLY!!!!!!!!)
- The maximum render distance is now fully customizable from within the game.
- Max Verts increased from 800 to 1200 (same as render patch)
- Maximum number of objects increased from 256 to 512 (same as render patch #2. this initially caused crashes on tracks like duality and razzle dazzle)
- Mark finally increased the box count - or otherwise known the infamous ground box error. Limit increased from 600 to 800. Tracks like Razzle Dazzle can now be completed with 8 running trucks.
- Most likely related to the groundbox error, tracks like Castle Rock Too and Spring Valley can now be succesfully played with any number of trucks \o/

What has been fixed compared to version 0.2:

- All resolutions should work correctly in software renderer.
- 1440x900 and 1536x864 - DO NOT WORK IN FULL SCREEN DIRECT3D!!!
- No more weather bug. You can now select whatever weather you want.
- All 4 tires leave tire tracks.
- Tire track life span has been increased.
- 3dfx 16:9 has been added.

PLEASE NOTE REGARDING 3DFX!!!

- 3dfx only works with 640x480 and 856x480.
- Please use nGlide 1.05, this has been tested with 1.05.
- For wide screen, please select aspect ratio "fit to screen" in nGlide and the 856x480 resolution from within the game.
- If you want to stick to 4:3 then keep 640x480 and "preserve original" in nGlide. Sorry but 16:10 cannot be implemented due to 3dfx limitation.

What doesn't work (hefty one):

- Small glitch when you first run the game. The truck appears all black in the driver's circle. Have not tracked the reason down. Once you run a race it should work afterwards.

- Menu bar has not been removed from full screen direct3d (Win8 and Win10 only). It's annoying but so far I have not been able to find the problem. I suspect that it's the way the modern OS work and it will most likely need a code change to hide the bugger.

- Win 8 users need to run nGlide, otherwise the game will run in about 15fps. Impossible to fix as this is a Win8 problem. (or alternatively, when the game eventually gets ported to DirectX9 or OpenGL)

- the first time you select direct3d it will not show you the different resolutions. Just press OK and open the settings page again.

- MAKE SURE YOU RESTART THE GAME AFTER EVERY RESOLUTION CHANGE. Sorry, but that's how it has to be for now.

- Dashboard doesn't work right. Actually, it's all kinds of messed up. It's basically unusable but it won't crash. This will get fixed once I get all the resolutions to work as it is tedious. I might try to find a different, more efficient way of fixing it.
- The higher you go in resolution the smaller the text is. This will eventually get fixed.
- The main menu still displays in 640x480 even if the selected resolution is not 640x480 (thus you will end up with a lot of black screen around the menu). Usability is 100%, it just looks ugly that's all. This will eventually get fixed.
- Now, for the resolutions, here is a list. All the errors refer to hardware acceleration:

2560x1440 - crashes @ loading - impossible to make it work, will remove.

That's it for known issues. Feel free to try out everything you like and report any issues including the same issues I mentioned up there. Why? Well, to make sure that there's something wrong with the code and not with a video card incompatibility.

Version 0.3 todo list:

- Implement proper menus so that the whole screen is covered correctly.
- Implement working dashboard.
- Clean up resolution menu. Hopefully find a way to limit the resolutions to their respective renderer modes.

http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.27.zip (zip file - 14mb)
http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/Beta0.27.rar (rar file - 4mb)

Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.25
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 pm 

I'm getting a "monster.exe is not a valid win32 application" error when I try to run it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:20 am 

Well... that's interesting. What windows do you have?

On my Win10 desktop and on the Win8.1 laptop it both works fine. According to the internet, a common problem is that sometimes the download is corrupted. Try downloading the archive again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:18 am 

ATTENTION:

I haven't been able to test it correctly but I have a suspicion that this version is not able to connect in multiplayer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:08 am 

I just downloaded it again and I got the same issue. Maybe the upload is messed up? I'm running windows xp and the last beta runs perfectly.

Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.26 - UPDATED
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:00 pm 

Ok everyone, please check the opening post. I have updated the files to 0.26 as multiplayer should be fixed now.

bconley... I really don't know what to say. I just installed mtm2 on my roomates Win7 laptop and downloaded the 0.25 version and it works just fine. Tried both archives. Try the 0.26 version and see if it accidentally gets fixed O_O.

Are you by any chance running windows XP?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:54 pm 

I am running windows xp, which is why it's so odd - beta0.20 works just fine. Beta0.26 and beta0.25 don't.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:45 pm 

It turns out it's not that odd.

Beta0.20 was built with Visual Studio 6 (from 2000 or something like that).

Beta0.25 and 0.26 have been built with Visual Studio 2015. It turns out by default VS2015 does not support anything older than Win Vista and hence that's why you get the error. Supposedly I can target Windows XP and I tried doing that but it doesn't work right off the bat. I need to change some more code to get it to function. I'm not able to do any work on this until next week but I will try to figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:24 pm 

Actually, check your PM please.

Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.27 - UPDATED AGAIN!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:35 pm 

If anyone wants to run this on Windows XP please check the opening post for details. It should work now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 am 

Awesome work! Fila do you have any issues if I crosspost, and mirror the patches on my site?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:02 am 

No, go right ahead. Just make sure you mention they're beta since the main menu UI is all sorts of messed up right now :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:36 pm 

And unofficial, with no use of the original source code.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:21 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

I had a "too many vertices" error in crazy 98, with stock trucks, really weird.

Any way you could bump up the draw distance to even more tiles? (and raise the verts limit even more?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:42 pm 

Hmmm. I've tried that. Haven't had any errors.

Are you using the mirrored water thing? Was it in direct3d, software or 3dfx?

I do plan on looking into bumping the draw distance once I'm done with the UI. Toyed briefly with it and I was able to raise it a further 50% of what it is now BUT only in software renderer O_O

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:00 pm 

Hey - after playing around with the current beta for a few weeks I wanted to post my findings:

1) I've encountered a "too many vertices" error while playing a few of the smaller tracks with both the full, new draw distance and old, shorter one. I had a hunch that it might be related to the new tire tracks, which can really pile up after a while, so I turned tire tracks off and the issue went away. I was using stock trucks with no reflections.

2) I had an AV error on Zoon Kitchen 2 and Toy's In The Attic when using 8 trucks and the new draw distance. Using the NOBLIMP pod fixed the problem, so I'm guessing that it was related to the issue discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1996&hilit=blimp

3) Pitch black does this hall of mirrors thing to the sky: http://imgur.com/nqcynFl
I don't remember seeing that before, so I figured I'd mention it.

All in all I'm blown away by this mod - the new resolutions look great and not having to worry about the box count error is just fantastic.

A question - is fixmore.pod still needed?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:30 pm 

Yeah, fixmore.pod is still needed. There's stuff that I haven't looked into fixing yet (like the hall of mirrors, train sound etc) since I banked on the fact that they are fixed with the .pod file.

Thanks for the testing. These are points I certainly missed and will look into fixing them.

Right now I'm really busy with work so I don't expect to have time over the month of May. I will look into fixing these in the next patch, the one that will fix make the UI fully functional.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:16 pm 

I'd be tempted to find the to many vertices error handler and just disable it.

I suspect it was for a time when 133mhz CPUs ran the world. But it's not really relevant now. Let the vertices run wild! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:25 am 

I'll look into that once I have a chance to look into it. The only thing I'm worried about is that the code has alot of dependencies (and many weird ones) and by disabling the vertices handler there's a solid chance something else might break.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:01 am 

Fila wrote:
I'll look into that once I have a chance to look into it. The only thing I'm worried about is that the code has alot of dependencies (and many weird ones) and by disabling the vertices handler there's a solid chance something else might break.

Just got to find the If and throw an || true at the end.
Then it's always successful.