MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 pm

Post subject: Needing Help to Be Able to Play Online
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:58 pm 

OK so here is the deal this will take a little explaining to and I have read and followed instructions from other posts and have had some but in the end NO LUCK
I have the game full installed and the patch installed with it
My brother (Different state) has done the same
we would like to play each other online using IP option
We have both done port forwarding and DMZ options And opened all known firewalls
With the port forwarding we have gotten it to connect but it will only connect for about 30 seconds and then it kicks the person who joined out
we have tried several settings changes and most all have failed and do not change anything
even with the port forwarding i can not get it to say the ports are open when going to a webside to check the ports
what are we or am i doing wrong
any and all help with be appreciated. thanks

Post subject: Re: Needing Help to Be Able to Play Online
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:27 am 

First step. When you both tried DMZ (have you tried both at the same time), was the port forward disabled? The port forward must be disabled when using DMZ, they override each other and might result in issues.

DMZ is less preferable than port forward but it's just as a starting point. If you guys already did that (with port forward disabled) then... ugh, gonna have to start going through steps.

Does it kick you guys out irrelevant of who is hosting? (as in, does it kick you out if your friend hosts and it does the same to him if you host?).

One more question for starters, are you guys using the official patch or the community/beta patches?

The person that gets kicked, does he get a chance to see the multiplayer screen and does he get a chance to write something before he gets kicked?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:12 am 

trying dmz yes we both turned off port forwarding when trying it
as far as who is hosting and who gets kicked out it doesn't matter who hosts or who joins either way it kicks the person out who joins
as far as the patch If I remember right it was the patch from this web page
and as far as being able to type messages in multiplayer screen we can type them but the other person does NOT get to see them and then eventually the joining person gets kicked out

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:53 pm 

Quote:
as far as the patch If I remember right it was the patch from this web page

Well this page offers both the official patch and the fan made community patch. If your game allows higher resolution than 640x480 then you are using the fan made community patch. The reason I am asking is that subsequent testing has showed the fan made patch has issues online if the game is installed in C:\Program Files (x64) (but it's fine if it's installed somewhere else).

Quote:
and as far as being able to type messages in multiplayer screen we can type them but the other person does NOT get to see them and then eventually the joining person gets kicked out

Sounds like the games are still not communicating. If it's not the above problem (installation folder) then either not all ports have been opened correctly or there is some hardware issues. Do you know the brand and name of your modem and/or router?

Another thing: GameRanger does a good job automatically opening the ports when people play. The downside of the program is that it doesn't have a proper lobby, so people cannot gather around looking for a game. A person has to host and then the lobby shows up in gameranger and other people can join. I know a few guys who are playing this way because they have no access to their routers and cannot make the game work in any other way.

https://www.gameranger.com/

If you guys do try out gameranger, make sure you restart the computer after installing it. The multiplayer game won't launch correctly unless your reboot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am 

thanks for the help We will try a few of these things and yes I can get into the router and change settings and so can he on the other end
the router I have is a calix 844E-1 and the modem is a cyber power I believe but ill have to go down and check that out again ( have to remove it from the wall the sticker is on the back)

I do know that when one or the other joins it does tell us that one of us is playing a different version of the game compared to the other is that causing the problems??
ill be back on and try a few more things later

is there a better place to get the game from where I can down load it instead?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:46 pm 

Get it from here:

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/mtm2.html

And for starters, I recommend the game and official patch until we can figure out what's causing the disconnect.

Quote:
I do know that when one or the other joins it does tell us that one of us is playing a different version of the game compared to the other is that causing the problems??

Normally no. Normally an unpatched game (that's why the warning shows up) should be able to play with a patched game, despite the warning. However this game has always been very unpredictable, let alone that it's a 17 year old game running on operating systems that it was never intended to run on so it's best to use same versions, to rule that problem out.