A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

Post subject: dgVoodoo 2.54
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 am 

Think we need to talk about dgVoodoo 2.54
http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html

This emulator has come a long way since kmaster first mentioned it in this post. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6714

I have generally promoted nGlide as it was the one that worked for me the most but I have done some extensive testing with dgVoodoo 2.54 and I am inclined to believe that, as far as Glide emulation, this works better with MTM2.

Since 2014 it can also emulate DirectX5-7 which is great for us. I have tested the DirectX emulation and while the performance is good, it displays some transparency issues. Different than the already existing transparency issues. But as with emulations, this is a case by case basis and some people should maybe give it a try and see how their computer reacts to it. One positive thing, it does away with the menu bar.

Now when it comes to 3dfx (Glide), I have not yet noticed any graphical artifacts and furthermore the performance is really good. I am achieving 70fps at 2560x1440 resolution and 120 viewing distance with stock trucks. I have also tested it with the SS trucks and I can achieve around 50fps running 8 trucks on stock tracks. On the more challenging tracks like DVR Redux and SLO Motion Redux I can run 6 trucks and achieve an average 30-40 fps. (ocasional dips to 20 fps). If I reduce the resolution to 1920x1080 I can run an average of 40-50fps with a dip to 30fps. If I reduce the viewing distance I can even hit steady 60fps.

Basically the most essential thing is that the dgVoodoo seems to handle the dip in performance much better than nGlide and even the original DirectX. Do remember however that I have a very beefy computer so others might have different experiences with the program. The other good thing about this is that you can install it locally (to the MTM2 folder) and hence you can even have it running despite nGlide being installed as it will take priority over nGlide.

How to Install:

Open the dgVoodoo2_54.zip file. Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe and either the .dll files in 3dfx (IGNORE NAPALM FOLDER!) or in MS (or all if you so want but ignore Napalm folder) to the MTM2 folder where the game is installed. It should NOT override anything.

Then start dgVoodooCpl.exe and set it up.

I have attached two pictures on how my current setup looks. This has given me the best performance.

Forcing bilinear filter makes the game look better but eats 10fps and make sure you select 2 TMU's and not 1 nor 3 (it will eat another 10fps). You can disable the 3dfx watermark. I have it on for testing purposes as this confirms whether dgVoodoo is working (but once you know it is you can disable it).

Of course for resolution just select whatever resolution you want to run the game in. Then INSIDE MTM2 make sure to select 3dfx and the 856x480 resolution for 16:9. Otherwise if you want 4:3 resolution just select the other options.

If it works for people I will add it to the mtm2.com page as an nGlide alternative.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: dgVoodoo 2.54
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:28 am 

One annoying thing in my case. It won't get rid of the mouse cursor despite the option being deactivated :angry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:26 am 

Hmmm, stupid thing I discovered. If you change between some options, when you revert back you get 10 extra fps.

So for example if I start the game now, I get 40fps. If I first start dgVoodoo control panel, then change the TMUs to 1 and hit apply then back to 2 and hit apply AND keep the control panel running and I start the game, I get 50fps.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 pm 

So I've been doing more tests. It's definitely winning me over.

For DirectX: It gives me a 50%-100% fps boost on Windows 10. And you can even select the smallest 16:9 resolution (1280x720) and let the game upscale it to your preferred resolution. It's going to look identical but have better performance. OR you can just use the native resolution with this wrapper and it will give you better performance anyway. (on Win 10 and probably Win 8. Don't think Win 7 users need to use this).
The Cons: When the game lags (like with the HD trucks for example or too many 256x256 textures) then it's going to lag BAD. It will fall to 10fps. Also, if by default your video card has visual artifacts (like transparency issues and maybe objects getting clipped at horizontal line) this might not fix it.

For Glide: On my system it works like a charm and works better than nGlide. The transparency issues I have with Direct3D don't exist. I have also used it together with dxtory to limit fps and/or take pictures and it works great. On my end, so far, there are no drawbacks (well other than the mouse cursor which you have to move before each race and the silly 10fps loss if you don't change a setting back and forth before starting the game).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 am 

Works great for me! Doubled my fps from 62-70 to 150-160, and that's even including keeping my 1920x1080 (on windows 10..using the beta..), and, increasing the visibility from like 40 to like 70 or 80. If I push it too hard though it's buggy, so kinda some glitches I'll stay away from

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:22 am 

That's in Direct3D.

You have to select a 3dfx resolution for Glide to work. Glide is 3dfx and it won't work without 3dfx resolutions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:00 pm 

Fila wrote:
That's in Direct3D.

You have to select a 3dfx resolution for Glide to work. Glide is 3dfx and it won't work without 3dfx resolutions.

But you mentioned "2560x1440"...My beta can't go that high, and did you do that with direct3d or 3dfx? Also, did you do that resolution in the game, or using the voodoo program, because as I remember the voodoo program can't produce that resolution..it isn't in the list. However, I'm pretty sure my new monitor will do 1440p, I pretty sure I've seen youtube videos in 1440p, and doom will go 3840x2160 and I can change resolution of desktop to 3840x2160, but it's just foolish lol because the cursor just gets really big...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:40 pm 

And....the monitor driver isn't installed....it says Generic PnP Monitor in device manager; when my family left after Thanksgiving I did system restore to before they came....cause the kids were playing on my computer. It probably messed with windows updates and garbage. Guess I'll reinstall the monitor driver.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm 

NiteMares2k16 wrote:
Fila wrote:
That's in Direct3D.

But you mentioned "2560x1440"...My beta can't go that high, and did you do that with direct3d or 3dfx? Also, did you do that resolution in the game, or using the voodoo program, because as I remember the voodoo program can't produce that resolution..it isn't in the list. However, I'm pretty sure my new monitor will do 1440p, I pretty sure I've seen youtube videos in 1440p, and doom will go 3840x2160 and I can change resolution of desktop to 3840x2160, but it's just foolish lol because the cursor just gets really big...

If 2560x1440 doesn't show up in dgVoodoo it's either something to do with your monitor or your video card drivers. Just look in the pictures I posted, there's 2560x1440 right there and that's what I'm running.

It's not rocket science man. I've been repeating this same thing for over a year now. The game resolution is 856x480, the 3dfx/glide equivalent of a 16:9 resolution. nGlide and dgVoodoo intercept this resolution and then upscale it to whatever resolution you have selected in the program. In my case it upscales it to 2540x1440 which is what I run.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:03 pm 

Fila wrote:
NiteMares2k16 wrote:
Fila wrote:
If 2560x1440 doesn't show up in dgVoodoo it's either something to do with your monitor or your video card drivers. Just look in the pictures I posted, there's 2560x1440 right there and that's what I'm running.

It's not rocket science man. I've been repeating this same thing for over a year now. The game resolution is 856x480, the 3dfx/glide equivalent of a 16:9 resolution. nGlide and dgVoodoo intercept this resolution and then upscale it to whatever resolution you have selected in the program. In my case it upscales it to 2540x1440 which is what I run.

=P easier said than done. Something with an expensive monitor called "Manage 3D Settings" then Dynamic Super Resolution, "DSR" for short it says (this is NVidia configuration)..these resolutions weren't enabled by default, and I don't know if you need SLI or not to enable this stuff. Then U gotta reboot and they show up in dgvoodooo, and by the way, this better not tear up my monitor because this thing cost me a pretty penny :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 pm 

I dunno...the app was working last night, but it's not working now..I can make changes to the app, but it doesn't "take effect" in the actual game. I had firefox open when I opened mtm2, started a race but it didn't upscale the game's reso from 800x400 or w/e to 2560x1440, it stayed the same reso and kinda jerked here and there, hence why I said direct3d works better than glide on my new computer. But, came back to windows and it bumped firefox down to 800x400 reso (not the window, but the text was all big and zoomed in), closed firefox and re opened it and all was fine again. Soooo..thinking you might need glide installed for this to work properly.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm 

Either you haven't copied the .dll files or something else is wrong. Or it could be SLI... SLI has lousy game implementation and support. Are your settings like they are in my pictures? (except for the game folder ofc).

nGlide has nothing to do with dgVoodoo. That's like saying you need to have Kaspersky Anti-Virus installed for Norton Anti-Virus to work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 am 

Think it's fixed now..the path at the top wasn't set to mtm2 folder. Comp still prefers direct3d though. 3dfx/glide kinda jerky / stutter / skittish here and there every now and then, direct3d smooth as butter the whole time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am 

Chrome is calling the download dangerous...any issues with anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:58 am 

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9 ... d8#p423067

False positive.

https://virustotal.com/en/file/598ab66b ... 495437553/

The ones that do find a "virus" give it generic names because they cannot actually find any villainous code but they can't be arsed to check what the file does.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm 

hahaha, yeah Firefox thought it was malicious too it didn't want it to download :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:06 am 

Yeah I've been using it to fix other directX games like Populous the Beginning. Works great

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:09 pm 

Did a few more tests on my laptop. The directx version of dgVoodoo DOES indeed help with the horizontal line. It just doesn't help with the weird truck transparencies from close view. (this doesn't happen when using Glide/3dfx).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:42 pm 

Got dgVoodoo to work with MTM1 in software mode (accelerated mode still goes to black for me, must be an issue with DirectX 2.0). This doesn't show how it scales up properly, but this works out rather well and with the interlacing the game looks rather how I remember first playing it 20 years ago. More info to come...
Attachment:
mtm1dgvoodoo.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:06 pm 

I actually got Monster Truck Madness to work in 2160p 4k (native resolution of my current monitor, 3840x2160) and it works in hardware mode. The settings for windowing are completely different than the default, so I will share them below.

The main problem is that I need to switch fullscreen mode manually sometimes to get the proper window size. Otherwise the game runs fine in hardware mode.
In-game

Skull Kid (AKA Joker)