MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

Post subject: Breaking the camera free for replays
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:09 pm 

I wanna do something kinda machinima related to running MTM2. Basically a friend and I would run races on the game via online and record the replay and edit the video like the old PENDA races and have a "racing" series done in that style.

Unfortunately the cameras for the game don't work the greatest in MTM2 in replay in full screen. It locks you to a single camera and you have no way of changing it.

Would it be possible to use something like Cheat Engine to break the camera free from the predefines (BlimpCam, Racecam, etc, etc) and set it how I wanna set it to make the camera more like a real "TV" camera set up.

I've tried using CE myself but any time I run MTM2 with it. The game goes to the Pause screen and I find no results trying to find the location of the camera because it's no "active"

I know some people have been working on the Fan Patch for the game and trust me I am a really big fan of it and hope development continues.

Post subject: Re: Breaking the camera free for replays
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 pm 

V and K will switch camera and truck views in full screen

And no you can not break it free as far as i know
the game has no arbitrary locations to break it free and send it to

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:34 am 

You'd need to edit the course to change where the cameras are. They're tied to Course 1, but it will also affect where the CPU trucks run. However, if you do it correctly you may be able to get better angles from it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:25 am 

The thing is, it should be possible. Things like the Racecam are indeed tied to the track, but things like the front, side, and rear follow cameras are tied directly to the trucks. Their relative position.

If the “center” of a truck is 0,0,0 the camera will default to something like -50, 0, 100 (50 units negative on the Y, 0 units on the Z, and 100 units positive on the X) which would be the close rear follow camera. And that would be true for every single truck.

If it’s possible to change those defaults, or assign them to a joypad input, you can have a free camera.

MTM2 DOES have its own camera controls (add or subtract from X Y or Z or rotate along the Z) in the replay menu, but once you go full screen, you no longer have the access to those and are then “stuck” to the defaults without the custom look.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:13 pm 

Not true. even in full screen there are camera controls on the keyboard. "0" and "." on your numpad rotate the camera around the truck and numpad + and - pitch the camera up or down. There's probably a zoom in and out control as well but idk what the hotkeys are. these even work in cab view too to look out your side and rear windows which makes for some pretty good action shots with the dash overlay turned on

Nat Gage (She/They, pls)
I used to be PM Customs but now I'm taking meds for that ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 pm 

N_Gage_18 wrote:
Not true. even in full screen there are camera controls on the keyboard. "0" and "." on your numpad rotate the camera around the truck and numpad + and - pitch the camera up or down. There's probably a zoom in and out control as well but idk what the hotkeys are. these even work in cab view too to look out your side and rear windows which makes for some pretty good action shots with the dash overlay turned on

Does help somewhat.

There is a set of "zoom" buttons in the instatn Replay preview window, however these are not tied to any hot keys in the game like the pitch and yaw are.

If there are, they aren't covered in the manual for the game (which doesn't even mention the instant replay feature at all) or in the HLP file which can't be opened without jumping through a bunch of hoops in Windows 10.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:00 am 

FFR: Try gold mode: http://www.mtm2.com/~mtmg/gold.shtml