MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

Post subject: Super Rally by AIR_Wipeout
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 7:55 am 
Post your reveiw of my track as a reply to this message! I am open to critisim, so be truthful! :rollin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 8:05 am 
Oh, by the way, here is the layout of this track....

It is set in grassy feilds. You start in a halfpipe, enter an area with a few turns and checkpoints, then jump out onto an area like Scrapyard Run. I'm only explaining the start, you'll have to find out the rest yourself. Have fun! By the way, there is one secret area. Good luck finding it. This track has an 8-9:30 minute lap time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 2:42 pm 

I'm willing to give it a run but can you please tell us where we can get it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2000 9:24 pm 

8 -- 9:30 laptimes huh.... i bet i can get atleast a 7:40 but we need a link man
ime too lazy to go look for it at kc's lol

------------------
Howd that cat get under my tire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 2:25 am 
Glow Ball

Psyco, you know the track's at kc's so cut the guy some room.

Having said that...

This track could have used considerably more beta work. The map is rough, the computer trucks and helicopter don't work, the terrain needs many touch ups, and the textures need cleaning up. The readme says

Quote:
the part that has to do with the textures is 'I would have replaced them with SNF textures, but I'm too lazy'

Sorry, but laziness does not make good tracks.

The ground boxes are extremely transparent, especially at the beginning of the race. The solution to ths problem is still being debated, but enough is known to avoid it. See here for a recent discussion on the topic.

Oh, and this is a personal preference, but I'm not keen on texture types being set to "snow".

Let's hope for more thorough beta work on Air Wipeout's future tracks. In the meantime, this needs many fixes.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 7:03 am 
Hey Phin, I know I said I'm open to critism, but this DOES make me kinda mad. Other than the little part at the end, whats wrong with the map? And, the coms don't work because of the length. I heard anything over 7:30 (Computer average, that is) messes up the coms. You can tell by the map. If the map is deisgned perfectly (Like it IS except for the end part in my track) the coms will work if it isn't too long. Ever played DMS Mountain Rally? Its long, so the coms don't work. I don't think they work on ZS Rally either, but I'm not going to say because I haven't played it, however, I heard they don't from a friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 7:53 am 
easy company

[This message has been edited by Malibu350 (edited 04-04-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2000 8:30 am 

first lap 7:36.56

ummmm i aont gonna say what i think....

------------------
Howd that cat get under my tire?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 7:49 am 
Glow Ball

>>I know I said I'm open to criticism

I was not trying to be critical, but descriptive of what I saw as well as suggestive about where you might make improvements with particular emphasis on taking more time and better advantage of the beta process.

>>but this DOES make me kinda mad

Well, we are either open to criticism or we are not. But peace. You show strong potential which I hope your enthusiasm will help carry to greater heights. I'm sure we all look forward to some great work form you one day. Please don't let a few constructive words hinder what you're doing.

On the topic of computer trucks and course segments, there is no known limit on the number of course segments, despite what might be said about ZS Rally. But there is a simple way to find out. Do the generate from main trick and see what happens. If there is a problem, you can always delete them just as quickly.

To be quite honest, I would like to see you fix those ground boxes at the start, and add the extended course segments (they are crucial to making a good track work). For a few notes in addition to what wk has outlined, please see here. The pop up at the bottom of the page will help clarify things more.

So, what do you say? Do we get a Super Rally 2 or a Super Rally (fix'd) version? You won't be the first to need something like that, and you can bet, sure as shootin, that you won't be the last.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 8:02 am 

Well, that cleared things up sort of. And, I think that you are right about most of that. But, here are two things you may find weird. First, those ground boxes. I know about the error you explained, so I made them at exactly the level off the basic terrain... 100. I did this before eve testing the first version. Well, anyway, if I remeber. The next thing is that I have made two tracks (Once of which managed to be released, because the other gave everyone but me a texture error) and they only had a main course. If you look at Ice Hills, which can be found at KCs, you will see that the computers do do the right thing. Sure, they aren't good, but they make it usually. And, if you look at it in Traxx, you will see that the other courses do not exist. And the helicopters work, except in 1 or 2 spots. A final thing I'd like to say is that I am having trouble with textures in a track I am working on (I promise, I won't release this one until it is absolutly perfect)... If you look in the Traxx section under Texture Errors (or whatever it was, started by Andy) My message is there... Could u please go there and read the message, and post a reply (there) if you think you can help?

Ps. Overall, it is a fun racing experience, and has variety, though, right? Or at least sorta fun?

------------------
-Wipeout

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2000 9:52 pm 

dang them are some long posts LOL
well wk heres what it sounds like to me...
and i quote

A vector is a 'direction' so I guess he is saying that the computer trucks can't handle more than 255 changes in direction.

end quote
hehehehe
o ummm u got icq?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 2:29 am 
Glow Ball

I think if this chat is going to continue in a technical track-making vein, then perhaps the appropriate place would be the Traxx discussion forum

Thanks

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2000 8:48 am 

I think the "General Idea" of this track as is has been covered.

It's not worth the download "as is" when several new tracks come in every day.

I look foward to seeing a completed version of this track Air, and post any updates on the Beta page, and feel free to Direct Link the new beta from this BBS.

We are actualy doing what was intended from day one... let people know what the track is before they download it... and help those that submit incomplete work to fix what's wrong.

Personally, I am very pleased with how this setup works so far.

KC