MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Post subject: 2 Way Lives by Fatal_Error (revised)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2000 9:10 pm 

I have re-posted this track with the following updates:

1. Added checkpoints (forgot the first time around...doh!)
2. Added new custom textures and bin's
3. More directional arrows
4. Underground caves now have a more realistic floor (sandy)

This track looks best set on dusk so the cave lights activate. My best lap is 13:36
after 1 month of making this track. Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 5:13 am 
Glow Ball

This track has one of the longest, most complicated maps I've seen on any mtm2 track. It can seem almost impossibly hard to follow at times, even with the extra arrows and the cps - which really are an improvement over the previous version.

This is definitely a long rally - 22:00 first time around - which travels over several different types of ground (scrapyard roads, city, tropics, off-road rocks, sandy caves, and more). It features lots of air time with some of the jumps needing a 2000 gear setting to make it across. Nope, not for rookie settings. Some good use of models, including a skyway road section. And, the computer trucks can finish the race.

Over all, this tracks shows a lot of creativity and incredibly sustained concentration from Fatal Error. It's just jam packed full of interesting ideas. Good job.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 6:37 am 

Ok I love long tracks but I started getting totaly confused around checkpoint 7 on...and that is when I noticed that the directional finder is not in jibe with your checkpoint markers...its one behind. I restarted the race and noticed right off the finder is pointing at checkpoint 2 before youve even hit checkpoint 1. Start up the race and turn on your directional finder and you'll see what I mean..otherwise this is a cool track from a pretty imaginative and patient mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 9:40 am 

SolarDog: Your right...I just opened it in Traxx and noticed I have 2 checkboxes at the finish line! One is sequence 0 and one is sequence 12! I deleted sequence 0, moved 12 over the checkered area and all went well. Sorry for the mistake. I've always made tracks for my own use but never posted any so I never used checkpoints. I had to read the help file to learn how to do it!!!hehehe

How far apart should checkpoints be? how do you decide where they should be placed?

[This message has been edited by Fatal Error (edited 16-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 10:35 am 
Glow Ball

Placing checkpoints is a subjective thing. Some people like them everywhere, others like only a few. What I do is try to put them at the extreme ends of the line, forcing people to travel the entire distance of the track - if they can find a quicker way than what the road offers, then all the better for their lap time. Examples, a long skinny oval would only need two (one at each end), a broad circle or square would need four or five (one at each corner), a zig zaggy track would need one at every zig and zag (or people will drive cross country instead of the course). Another thing to consider is that you can place them so the finder points the driver in the right direction (especially where there is more than one road to follow). These are all just guidelines, because no track is just an oval or just a zig zag, just remember that they are meant to keep people on track and you should do okay.

I didn't mention the checkpoints because I didn't think it a big deal. However, I did notice them and perhaps should have said something. While we're on the topic, I think it's important that the finish line be clearly marked. The game gives us the starting line so that's less crucial. But I always find it bothersome to be all geared up and getting ready for the next corner or something, and bingo, the race is over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 10:57 am 

What about some sort of sign or marker that tells the drivers how many checkpoints to expect before the finish line? Is that kinda lame? Or maybe 4 signs scattered through the track which read "25% complete" then "50% complete" etc. I would like your input on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 12:46 pm 
Glow Ball

Quote:
What about ... sign or marker ... Or maybe 4 signs ... which read "25% complete" then "50% complete"

Why not? I haven't seen something like that done before, but that should be no reason not to. I am a fan of a clear driving line. Of course that's just my opinion, but "I" lose patience if I have to stop and ask for directions.

------------------
- Phineus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2000 8:07 pm 
The track is good, except for the fact that some of the check points are a little misnumbered, and a little off. Image Personally, I'd like to see more of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 7:46 am 
Well, here are my two cents ;-)

First of all, for a first track it's very good/complicated. I'll just have to say that this is a very good track and must have took you months to build. all I can say is that the adition of checkpoints was very welcome.

Now the downside ;-)

Maybe it's because your new but here's something I also noticed. In your track you use some models and textures by me, and although I do think it's OK to use them (this goes for all my models and textures. including the ones I didn't send to the MTMG pages) I would like to see some credit for that. I've put a lot of blood sweat and something else in those textures and models, as much as you put in your track. Like I said I do not mind you using them (i'm flatered, don't get me wrong;-) I would like to see some mentioning of it in a read me file, as I suspect other bin makers would.

It's a small thing to ask on my side I think. I hope you will not forget it in the future. As for the use of textures I didn't put on the MTMG site, I would not have hurt to ask, I would give the permision to use it anyway. I'm all for sharing so don't be affraid;-)

As for now, I'm not gonna do anything against it, but I hope you will remind this small guideline in the future.

as for the future, I hope to see a new track soon 'cause this is very prommising.

Regards,

OOPS;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2000 1:52 pm 

OOPS;-) >> I'll make sure credit is given where credit is due in the future...sorry.

I downloaded about 20-30 tracks, kept the best 10-12 and then used winpod to extract ALL files and just took bins and textures out of there as well as using my own. If I had to, I couldn't tell you where some of them came from. I guess in the readme file, I could just credit each person who made those 10-12 tracks, that way I wouldn't miss anyone. Is that acceptable?

Also thanks for the pat on the back...I started a new track today called "Fantasy Island" -- (checkpoints and readme file will be included :>) it's gonna make some jaws drop..hehehe seeya

p.s. can I use your textures? (better late than never) hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 12:12 am 

I know where yer coming from FError! I too download so many tracks/bins/textures etc, and it's hard to remember who's was who's when you use then in your own creations. I try to credit as many people as I can when I KNOW but maybe one should say (as this community is growing and growing) "if ya didn't get a personal credit for your excellent [insert textures,bins,ideas here] send all hate mail, hitman, lawyers to [insert ex-wife, ex-girlfriend's address/email here]" Image
But when you do remember, credit where credit's due like you say. Looking forward to your next track bud.

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

[This message has been edited by EmceeMart (edited 18-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 12:26 am 

Addendum to the above post:
Anybody is welcome to use anything I personally create in my tracks. As OOPS;-) says, it is flattering to think your work worthy of using. It's nice to get a credit but not necessarily obligatory...IMO. Friends borrow from friends....let's stay friendly er, friends! Image

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2000 5:53 am 

EmceeMart, I totally agree with you. My bins and textures are free for anyone to use with no credit needed or expected. I have spent days with Truespace 4 creating models, saving as .3DS, converting to .OBJ, importing into BinEdit, creating textures with PhotoImpact but that's my choice. I do this for FUN. If someone likes my bin or texture and uses it, that just means I'll be able to download another GOOD track to play for FUN. Just my opinion...cya

I'll use your idea about "if ya didn't get a personal credit for your excellent [insert textures,bins,ideas here] send all hate mail, hitman, lawyers to [insert ex-wife, ex-girlfriend's address/email here]"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 3:07 pm 
How to avoid an argument;-)

OK, now lets see. You tell me that you didn't know where you got your models from. Let me give you an advise about this one to stay out of trouble. In the MTM comunity there are a lot of PPl who like to share thigs including me. Hwever not everybody is like us, try to remember that when you are extracting models and art. Read a readme for a change to see if you are allowed to use them freely, or under what conditions you can use them, sometimes you are not allowed.
If the trackmaker didn't say anything about it you can always ask.

If you extract models and art do so in two new created folders and copy the ones you want to use to another, and write down where you got it from so you can give someone credit.

Like I said I don't mind PPL usig them, however I do expect my work to be credited in a readme, for me this is not a question just a must do before use.

why? very simple. lets say someone is looking at your track and he/she says "well thats a nice looking *****.bin lets use this or my own track. he/she/it sees no mentioning of who build the *****.bin so expects it to be you. he/she/it will make a readme file that goes like "and I would also like to thank YOU for making the *****.bin instead of ME.

Ofcourse this is hypothetical, but lets just try to prevent situations like this by just giving credit.

IMHO it's not much to ask for ater making the ins and textures. I'm not gonna argue about it, if you want to use my stuff you give me credit.

End of discusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 6:48 pm 

No arguement intended OOPS;-) my friend. In fact I have a track in development using your Gollipop textures! Image (they are some of the best I've seen btw - and you WILL get credit for them when the track is finished).
Tot ziens!

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2000 8:46 pm 

EmceeMart, I started a better way to organize what bins and textures I get from others about 4 days ago. I deleted my entire ART and MODELS folder ( the dern things had over 6000 files combined!) and then extracted the track I'm working on now. Now when I extract a track like Gollypop, I'm creating a folder with the authors name and extracting to there....so now I have a folder named OOPS, EMCEE, MTMG, etc. For the bins and textures I already had, who knows where all of them came from, but in the future I will know...I did discover most if not all of OOPS;-)'s textures and bins came from Gollypop by going back and racing all the tracks I downloaded (and kept) in the last 2 months.

p.s. I loved racing "mcmrally" - - texture transitions are excellent! I usually only take 1 lap to check out the track but yours ended up being like 10 laps.. it's a fun track, not boring and especially pleasing to the eye in chase far mode. cya

p.s.s can I have permission to use some of those rock textures? hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 2:08 pm 

btw, i don't know if you were aware, but 2 Way Lives is a classic track by RIP_Behihm, and using that name gives the impression that your track is based on the former one.
Check it out on the AXE cool tracks page

[This message has been edited by adoob (edited 23-03-2000).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 2:14 pm 

P.S. Just d/l the track ... looking forward to checking it out ...

------------------
AXE Home Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:52 pm 

Fatal Error:
"p.s.s can I have permission to use some of those rock textures? hehehe"
Of course you can man,
but as OOPS;-) pointed out, I may have some stuff in there from other tracks, so I suppose the thing to do is to copy and paste MY readme file into yours. That way you exclude nobody huh?
I THINK I explained that I adapted some of Zoon's stuff to get my textures. Looking back on Zoon's readme files included with his tracks ... I may have not stuck to the protocol myself! But hey, this is a GAME huh? I admire both Zoon's and OOPS' Image's stuff (as well as a lot more MTM track makers) but I am inclined to, in future, post nothing but my own custom stuff to avoid this kind of conflict.
I do this for fun, I do not want or think I deserve any "credit". But those that do think that way, yes of course they deserve credit for their work. So maybe, just include everybody's readme files from tracks that we have extracted from to create our own tracks as I suggested. But I will stop downloading tracks when the readme files are bigger than the tracks!
I can't wait to see ZooN MooN or OOPS;-)'s next track.
Best Wishes

------------------
Keep on Monster Truckin'

EmceeMart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2000 10:21 pm 

adoob, yes I was aware. That's why when I first posted the track, Phineus mentioned in his review that it was based on the original 2 way lives. I used that track as my starting point since it is my all time favorite track.
I guess now your going to tell me (since I'm new to uploading my stuff) that I have to include a credit to Behihm, his textures, his ideas or that he has a patent on his track and his lawyer will contact me...hehehe

Read some of the other replies in this topic and you'll see this was the first track I've uploaded and I learned that if you use someone else's stuff, you gotta credit them in a readme file. Hope you like the track. FE