MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:18 am

Post subject: expo closing date ?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 pm 
Glow Ball

I'm hearing murmurs about people wanting more time to finish up their expo projects. I'd be interested in hearing from those who've already uploaded something, and from those who plan to enter something but who feel more time would be beneficial. Please let me know. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:17 am 

Tough call, but 3 months SHOULD be enough, shouldn't it?

I'd have no objections, but what of the masses who are beating at the gates to see the new stuff?? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:29 am 

Well it depends on every person and i think that the thoughts of the people who already submited their work should weigh heavier then those who haven't yet.

Of course those that haven't submited yet perhaps didn't because they are too busy and don't have enough time to pull one through (example ZooN).

But some are just lazy.
Or others are in panic because they don't have ideas.

I personally still haven't decided yet, i wanted to do that Monkey Island theme track but when i started it i realized that i don't have enough time (55 days or how much it was) to do it because my BinEdit skill is very slow. I create 3D Models very slow and then a 3 week killer school period came when i simply really didn't had 'nuff time to work with Traxx. (so basically it was 55 days minus 3 weeks).

I wouldn't mind 1 month expansion (school is out in 2 weeks so then i have 1 month of full day work dedication to traxx... plenty of time for a modest project)... but as i said Phin, my oppinion is that those who submited already should have a bigger impact upon the final decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:35 pm 
easy company

my vote is to push it back to july 21st

[:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:39 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

I agree with Mal, that sounds very good to me.

Maybe by then I'll have my stuff (life) situated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:57 am 

Salut :D

I wrote a little e-mail to Phineus about this subject and was saying if I'm alone to need more time to create a track, the dead line date doesn't need to be changed ... because it's a personal problem, not a contest problem !

Like you've said in your several messages, I'm really not alone in that case .... :)
So ...

:idea: Is it possible, with this phpBB forum, to set a poll (vote) about this subject and let everybody use it ? Maybe players will appreciate to wait a longer time for a better quality of all submitted tracks ? [;)]

See you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:34 am 

Quote:
Maybe players will appreciate to wait a longer time for a better quality of all submitted tracks ?

You little devil ;)

P.S. 21st July sounds good to me.

P.S.S. I just found out i need to leave the country for a week to go in Germany so that would mean i won't have time to work on the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:38 pm 

which ever is good for eveyone else. amidst the move jsut completed the RAM went in our pc, so i have no acess to mtm2. im using the kids pc right now till we get some new RAM. theres just no space on this pc, the HD in this is soooo small.. lol. (1.7 gig) im used to 20 gig +.

Post subject: Solution suggestion for the "not enough time" EXPO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:08 pm 

OK......now that ZOON and several others have joined the game, it might seem like a good idea to give them more time to do a proper entry without rushing them too much.....

SOOOOOOO........

How about if the Expo became a "two-parter"......a double-showing, if you will....

On the previously announced closing date, we can still have a showing for entries already finished...this will give the visitors something to see finally (they've been waiting months!!)

No judging will occur yet, as the entries will still be considered OPEN........anything entered after the June 21st date will not be put up for display yet....only items entered before June 21 will be displayed in STAGE ONE (or part one, or whatever catchy phrase you wish to use to label it.)

STAGE TWO will last another 3 months (or 2, if you wish to avoid September)......On Aug. or Sept. 21st Stage two will close and no more entries will be allowed......now ALL items will be place on display for download, and all will be available for judging.....

In a nutshell:

The expo opened March 21st for entries

Items entered before June 21st will be placed for display and D/L on the 21st until Expo closing date...(STAGE ONE)

Items entered on or after June 21 will be displayed after CLOSING DATE ...august or september 21 (STAGE TWO)

No judging will occur until after final closing date.

Announcements will be made to inform modelers, in case some want to try for the STAGE TWO portion instead, to allow them more time....

======================================

This method would both allow current items to be displayed (rather then hide them for 5-6 months) and allow more time for folks who were told of the Expo too late for them to make proper entries.....

MOST of the early entries are JUDGE-made items anyway, so why not reveal them in 2-3 weeks as planned, so visitors don't get frustrated, while being fair to our other late-arrival modelers at the same time.........

Opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:18 pm 

8)
I'm all for a little more time - for personal reasons, but I suggest showing finished projects as they are submitted.

Quote:
P.S. 21st July sounds good to me.

july 24 sounds better (my b'day :))

Quote:
OK......now that ZOON and several others have joined the game

ZOON's around? yippee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:16 pm 
Well I dont mind giving these guys some more time. I'd like little more time to get another track done myself. So put me down as a yes vote and any way it works best for the host's is ok with me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:23 pm 
Glow Ball

Anybody wanna bet that was hotshoe, lol

And bigdogge, you've prompted some ideas. More to follow. But first, there's still a couple others I'd like to hear from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:24 pm 

oops sry thot i was logged on SLO_HotShoe [(-:]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:35 am 

My standing. My truck entry is on target to be submitted by the original June 21 deadline (with only a mild 'feature cull' - ie. no ST companion truck [umm] ). Basically all I have to do is decide what (if anything) to do about the shocking, but mercifully short, frame stutter every time you start a race... and some Z-buffering issues.

I had, a long long time ago, originally planned to dabble in some track making (as per the "see how the other half lives" objective) but that fell by the wayside pretty quickly and nothing short of another 3 months would give any hope of resuscitating it... but I see an extension of that magnitude is actually on the cards [:)]

As an aside, the current closing date (June 21) actually falls amidst my end-of-session exam period, so I certianly wouldn't mind if it were moved out of there... both July 21 and September 21 would be excellent from my perspective as they both fall within holiday periods (August 21 does not, but would still be much more workable).

Oh, an extended due date would also allow me to keep my avatar image a while longer... :D

Post subject: Hmmm....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:01 pm 
I myself would like to see the date moved back but since this is a contest and we had a date for when it was going to end i think that tells the tell right there. We even knew when it was going to open and we had the time before it actually did opin to start on are projects. Thats just my 2 cents but it really doesn't matter to me if we do get it moved back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:01 pm 

A deadline is a deadline, its set to be followed. When your at a job and your boss tells you to finish something on a certain date, you finish it on that date. This isnt a job though is it? Personally, I could care less the only difference is when Zoon enters his track, I lose by even more [;)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:22 pm 
You Gonna Eat That?

All valid points.

But if you work with a boss like mine, he says on a Friday night, right before you leave, "Hey, we are working this weekend"

Then I spew forth many creative slang terms for his mother, and I end up doing what he says. The point is, that there was plenty of time for everyone to enter their projects, before the posted date. But unfortunately, our personal lives come first. Not everyone had the time to work on anything during the time allowed, so sometimes we have to step up a little bit, and let the other kids play too.

I totally understand that everyone that has entered something, wants the suspense to end, and close it to see if they won or not. I can also be compasionate to those that had some very important stuff, like life, to contend with during the time allowed.

So as long as everyone that wanted to be in the Expo, can be in it, I think the ones that have submitted something, should sort of "Take one for the team" and let all people get to participate.

Some may not think this fair, some may. Either way, it's meant to be fun, and if that's what we have to do to make it fun, then I say we extend the closing date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:15 pm 
Glow Ball

Now that we've heard from just about everybody (yes, we were waiting on you last two, so thanks), we'll take a day to figure out which way we'll go and then make an announcement.

re: zoon's reappearance. I understand that the timing is not good, but there is no way we would offer an extension for one person, wouldn't even think about it, and I don't care if it is zoon, nor would he accept it. It doesn't wash, it wouldn't be fair, I wouldn't do it. But the truth is there are several people who just won't complete their work by June 21st, including Malibu350 and while I should have my own track done by that date I won't have a truck done. I hope you recognize that we come at this topic honestly.

I will add that if we do opt for an extension, all entries submitted prior to the original closing will receive special consideration.

> the only difference is when Zoon enters his track, I lose by even more

Since zoon is a concern then how about we offer him a vote toward selecting a winner? That'd place him in a non-winning judges position. So far, our panel of judges are known and proven track and truck makers or prominent contributers to the mtmg. Do you think zoon fits into that group?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:40 pm 

I think ZOON assuming judging duties is a natural......ESPECIALLY when tracks are involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:40 pm 
Trackologist

Wholeheartedly agree with ZooN acting in the capacity of a judge...and it would ease the pressure of those who are concerned. I feel the there really isn't cause for concern, however, I do understand. Irrespective of 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. is what we all stand to derive from such an experience, to include the benefit of coming together as a community.