MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:59 pm

Post subject: Re: MTM2 Beta Patch 0.43 - Drag me to the finish line
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 am 

As far as I know, based on various drag conversions that I've done so far, the start light colors appear to be an issue on MTM2 tracks only, whereas in MTM1 tracks like Indiana State Fairgrounds and so on, (and not to mention LegendOfWii's MTM1 drag addons that he created recently.) the start light colors are correct. My guess is that it could be something to do with MTM2's color pallets or something like that, and much like the MTM1 arenas, the start light colors don't seem to clash well.

Here's a few pics demonstrating the problem.

As you can see the stage lights appear purple rather than red, and the go lights appear yellow rather than green. So Cale, you're pretty much in the same boat as me and everyone else in terms of the start lights.

On the other hand, nice work with the track despite the stadium being buggy as hell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:54 pm 

So I completely redid the track from nothing and I'm still having the same issues. Maybe it needs to be done as an MTM 1 track to work?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:50 pm 

Well, this is a MAJOR development, and for more than just drags:

Attachment:
monster 2018-07-04 21-34-20-701.jpg

Attachment:
monster 2018-07-04 21-34-30-580.jpg

That is a user-edited model being used as an arena backdrop in game! There are a few keys to this: first, the arena boundaries need to be EXACT to the dimensions of the ground area you're using. So, if you want to do an 8 square x 12 square arena in Traxx, the arena walls - not the entire model, just the walls containing the track - need to be 8 * 32 = 256 feet by 12 * 32 = 384 feet. Second, the model needs to be sitting on the XY plane in BinEdit. You can see some hall of mirrors on the lower edges of the walls in the shots above, this is because it's just above the XY plane, and I'll need to fix that. Third - it needs to be saved as a backdrop bin, which is in the drop down menu of BinEdit when you Save As.

I think I screwed up parts of the model when trying to fix it, so I'll go back and revise those then finalize it and then redo the textures - again - to make it fit OK within the boundaries, and then I can actually start working on ramps and cars and stuff. But being able to do custom models for arenas is HUGE, and opens up some big opportunities. Imagine making a circuit within a city at night...but the city itself is just an arena model around a smaller area? Or doing a ZOoN Kitchen type track in a confined bedroom? If only I had more time to experiment!

(Oh, and FYI...the drag functionality is still all there!)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 pm 

Now that's a hell of a lot better!!! Can't wait to see what's next! Hopefully there will be more than just cars and ramps, I like to see decorative objects around the track like banners and signs, where you can make it either USA Motorsports themed or PENDA themed. Just some suggestions that I brought to the table. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:31 am 

1st thing: MTM1 only has a standard color palette. MTM2 allows for customizable color palette. That's the reason the drag lights are different. There's nothing I can do about this until the game gets ported to Dx9/OpenGL. It's just the way the graphic engines used to work back then. The only way to get the correct color is to use the same color palette as the mtm1 tracks.

2nd thing: Regarding the stadium issue: I have to look into this. I'm not entirely sure yet where the exact problem lies. Obviously there must be something in the code, that when MTM detects a drag race it does something funny to the arenas. I will double check this later to confirm. I don't think it should be too hard of a fix but stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm 

Alright, so I've uploaded the beta to the track page: http://www.mtm2.com/MTM2/Tracks/tracks. ... e+2.1+Drag (it shows up as Indianapolis Drag in game...my bad)

I'm doing this in the hopes that someone might be able to help me debug some of my issues. There are 2 main ones:

1. The arena model works just fine, except for the ends of the track - if you get within a 1/2 grid square of them they hall-of-mirrors out to infinity. All vertical surfaces on the model within about 10 degrees of straight ahead do this at either end. They're all the standard MTM1 face type, so I don't know why the sides of the track are perfectly normal, but the ends are goofy.

2. The cars are supposed to be top crush! I used BinEdit 2.2.8's animator, maybe that's the problem?

Anyhow, play around with it and let me know of any ideas you might have. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 pm 

Fixed the top crush issue! I had my base model set too tall compared to the finished crush model. Redefined it so now it should be good. Going to make a few different colors etc. of crush car so it looks more realistic. Still need to figure out the stadium model issue and then I can start to really make it pretty.